'Starship Troopers' Reboot Will Be Less Violent Than the Original Version
Sony Pictures' upcoming "Starship Troopers" reboot will likely not be as violent as the original Paul Verhoeven-directed version. The remake film's producer Toby Jaffe opened up that the new version, which is still in the early phase of production, will go back to the story in Robert Heinlein's original novel.
"The more expensive a film is, the harder it is now to make it that violent," Jaffe told Empire magazine. The producer who also works for Colin Farrell's "Total Recall" reboot added, "With 'Recall' in particular, we made a conscious choice to keep it tonally closer to something like 'Minority Report'. It gives the studio, and us as producers, the opportunity to reintroduce it in a new way."
Jaffe went on explaining what makes the reboot different from Verhoeven's 1980s version. He said, "Verhoeven took [Heinlein's 1959 novel] from one extreme and made it almost comical, whereas our job is to be a little more faithful to the book, and ground it a little more." The producer added that the upcoming sci-fier would ditch the satire element and get straight to action genre.
"Verhoeven made his movie a critique of fascism," Jaffe stated before adding, "whereas Heinlein was writing from the perspective of someone who had served in World War II. Y'know, one man's fascism is another man's patriotism..."
Speaking about the iconic "Jump Suits" in the "Starship Troopers" franchise, Jaffe said, "Working in a visual-efects renaissance as we are, we have the ability to do so much more now. We can do the Jump Suits [armoured exoskeletons from Heinlein's novel], for example, which I don't think they could have done before."
"Starship Troopers" reboot still hasn't got its U.S. release date, but the script has already been written by "Thor" scribes Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz.
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Denies Cheating Rumors
- 'Pitch Perfect 3' Shows 'Farewell Tour' in First Trailer
- Erin Andrews and Jarret Stoll Get Married in Sunset Ceremony
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London