Tom Cruise Stands Tall in First Image of 'Jack Reacher'
How Tom Cruise would look like in "Jack Reacher" (previously known as "One Shot") has been revealed in a first official still of the movie. Making its way out via Entertainment Weekly, the image shows the husband of Katie Holmes clad in a brown leather jacket while standing on a city street beside a 1970 Chevelle SS.
EW explained that the car in the still is Cruise's "temporary possession," which he "has just battered in an attempt to escape from police who wrongfully suspect him of a murder." The scene itself was filmed in Pittsburgh.
In the thriller that is based on Lee Child's bestselling crime novel, Cruise tackles the titular character, who is a former military homicide investigator. He seeks the truth behind what seems to be an open-and-shut murder case after a trained military sniper is arrested for shooting five random victims.
"Someone asks him at one point in the story about the difference between a military policeman and a regular cop. Reacher points out that [for military police], every suspect is a trained killer," director Christopher McQuarrie said of Cruise's character. "He is free from any sort of anxiety. He is truly not encumbered by all the bulls*** that makes up our daily lives. He literally and figuratively has no baggage."
McQuarrie explained further, "He is an extremely pragmatic, matter-of-fact person. He's very solitary, but he can't walk away from a situation that needs to be made right. His own sense of right and wrong tie into that situation and he can't leave until it's been resolved. That's his Achilles heels."
Also starring Rosamund Pike, David Oyelowo, Richard Jenkins, "Jack Reacher" will open in the U.S. on December 21. In addition to serving behind the lens, McQuarrie works to provide the screenplay.
- Cate Blanchett Turns Into a Drag Queen for Charity
- See Mindy Transforming Into a Handsome White Man on 'The Mindy Project'
- Video of Harrison Ford Flying Over Commercial Plane Emerges
- Karlie Kloss Flashes Major Sideboob as She Goes Braless at a Charity Event
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl Jersey Is Worth $500,000
- Jimmy Kimmel May Retire From Late-Night TV: 'I Have Very Little Free Time'
- 'The Flash' 3.14 Preview: Team Flash Is Ready to Battle Grodd and His Army
- Meghan Trainor to Release New Song 'I'm a Lady'