The Black Keys File Copyright Infringement Suit Against Pizza Hut and Home Depot
The Black Keys are not pleased when Pizza Hut and Home Depot used their songs without permission. The duo have filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against both the pizza eatery and the DIY store, claiming that the two companies didn't own the rights to use elements of the band's hit songs in their recent ads.
The band, which consist of Dan Auerbach (guitar, vocals) and Patrick Carney (drums), stated that Pizza Hut used "significant portions" of their hit "Gold on the Ceiling" in an ad for Cheesy Bites Pizza. Home Depot, meanwhile, used the track "Lonely Boy" in an ad for power tools.
Regarding the issue, Mary Moyer, a spokeswoman for The Black Keys said in a statement, "The experts confirmed that this was copyright infringement." The band would seek unspecified damages of more than $75,000 apiece and an order to prevent the continued use of both songs in the commercials.
Responding to the claim, Home Depot's representative Stephen Holmes stated, "We haven't seen the complaint yet, but respect for intellectual property rights is a matter we take very seriously." Pizza Hut's rep Christopher Fuller claimed that the company hasn't seen the complaint as well.
"Gold on the Ceiling" and "Lonely Boy" are lifted off the band's seventh album "El Camino". Both of the songs topped the Billboard alternative music chart after their release. The members of the band themselves are currently preparing to go back into the studio in July to work on a new album.
"We don't know when we'll be done but we're starting it in July," Carney recently told Rolling Stones. "We might not finish it until March since we have to tour so much, but we'll see. We don't know what's going on. After July, we'll be able to know how long it'll take."
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting
- Ritz-Carlton Responds After Leslie Jones Accused It of Racism
- Elle Fanning Turns Her Dream Into Reality in New 'Leap!' Trailer
- This Is What Bella Thorne Does When Asked If Scott Disick Is a Sex Addict
- Bye Exes Feud! Nicki Minaj Is 'Happily Moving On' With Nas
- Jay-Z Shares '4:44' Dramatic Trailer Titled 'Kill Jay Z'