Mike Tyson Teams Up With Spike Lee for Broadway Show
It has been confirmed that Mike Tyson is heading to Broadway. The former heavyweight world champion is set to team up with filmmaker Spike Lee to adapt his one-man show, "Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth", for a limited run at the Longacre Theater.
The play, which will also mark Lee's Broadway debut, is scheduled to run from July 31 to August 5. "It is an honor to work with Spike Lee," so Tyson said when announcing the project on Monday, June 18. "I have always admired his work."
"Sharing the highlights and lowlights of my life with New York is especially important to me as I was born and raised in Brooklyn," he added. Lee, who is also a New Yorker, chimed in, "It's my honor to be making our Broadway debut together. Brooklyn to Broadway."
"Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth" was premiered at MGM Grand in Las Vegas last spring. The play presents a "personal look into the life and mind" of the legendary heavyweight boxer. It follows his highs and lows, including his struggles with drug addiction and his mother's alcoholism. It is also said to include his infamous rape case. The original script was written by Randy Johnson and Tyson's wife Kiki.
Tyson has appeared in comedy films "The Hangover" and "The Hangover Part II". Lee, on the other hand, has recently directed "Red Hook Summer" and is currently working on "Oldboy" remake.
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Competition! Scarlett Johansson Develops a Zelda Fitzgerald Rival Project
- 'The Punisher' Announces 5 More New Cast Members
- Kristen Stewart Reunites With 'Twilight' Co-Stars at Women in Hollywood Awards
- Len Wiseman Files for Divorce From Kate Beckinsale
- Lady GaGa to Perform at 2016 American Music Awards
- Gilmore Girls at Major Crossroads in 'A Year in the Life' First Trailer
- Justin Timberlake Votes Early and Lands in Trouble for Taking Ballot Selfie
- 'Walking Dead' Slammed by Parents TV Council Over Violent Season 7 Premiere