Radiohead Advise Fans Not to Visit Collapsed Stage
Radiohead have canceled their Toronto concert on Saturday, June 16 night after a stage mishap. The top portion of the stage collapsed hours before the band were due to take the stage, leaving one person dead and three others injured.
"Due to unforeseen circumstances tonight's at downsview park tonight has been cancelled. Fans are advised not to make their way to the venue," the band announced on their Twitter page. The group's website listed the concert as being a sold-out with 40,000 tickets sold.
Detailing on the incident, Toronto Fire Services spokesman Captain Mike Strapko told Reuters, "The roof part of the stage collapsed. It's like an arch made out of round piping similar to what they use for scaffolding." He added that the structure was rigged with lighting and other equipment. "So that's what came down and did crush the one individual."
The incident occurred at around 4 P.M. and Radiohead were supposed to take the stage at 9.30 P.M. Doors to the show opened at 5 P.M. but there were possibly about 1,000 people already there. Toronto police spokesman Sergeant Tim Burrows said about 20 people were in the direct vicinity of the stage as they did rehearsals and sound checks. Canadian musician Dan Snaith was the opening act for the band but it was not clear whether he was on stage when it collapsed.
A man who was pronounced dead at the scene due to crushing was said in his mid 30s. Meanwhile, a 45-year-old man was hospitalized with non-threatening head injury while two others were treated at the scene for minor injuries, officials said.
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'