Radiohead Advise Fans Not to Visit Collapsed Stage
Radiohead have canceled their Toronto concert on Saturday, June 16 night after a stage mishap. The top portion of the stage collapsed hours before the band were due to take the stage, leaving one person dead and three others injured.
"Due to unforeseen circumstances tonight's at downsview park tonight has been cancelled. Fans are advised not to make their way to the venue," the band announced on their Twitter page. The group's website listed the concert as being a sold-out with 40,000 tickets sold.
Detailing on the incident, Toronto Fire Services spokesman Captain Mike Strapko told Reuters, "The roof part of the stage collapsed. It's like an arch made out of round piping similar to what they use for scaffolding." He added that the structure was rigged with lighting and other equipment. "So that's what came down and did crush the one individual."
The incident occurred at around 4 P.M. and Radiohead were supposed to take the stage at 9.30 P.M. Doors to the show opened at 5 P.M. but there were possibly about 1,000 people already there. Toronto police spokesman Sergeant Tim Burrows said about 20 people were in the direct vicinity of the stage as they did rehearsals and sound checks. Canadian musician Dan Snaith was the opening act for the band but it was not clear whether he was on stage when it collapsed.
A man who was pronounced dead at the scene due to crushing was said in his mid 30s. Meanwhile, a 45-year-old man was hospitalized with non-threatening head injury while two others were treated at the scene for minor injuries, officials said.
- A Little Too Early? Kourtney Kardashian Lets 4-Year-Old Daughter Penelope Wear a Lip Ring
- 'Gossip Girl' Alum Penn Badgley Marries Domino Kirke in Brooklyn Courthouse
- 'Dancing with the Stars': 'Glee' Star Heather Morris Joins Season 24, Some Pairings Are Revealed
- DJ Khaled Films Top Secret Video With Justin Bieber, Chance The Rapper and More
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet