HBO Pulls 'Game of Thrones' Episode Featuring George W. Bush's Head on Spike
HBO is working fast to set things right after its show "Game of Thrones" drew a controversy for showing a fake severed head of George W. Bush. After apologizing for the "careless mistake," the premium cable channel has now yanked the tenth episode featuring the offending scene from digital platforms and halted shipments of the season 1 DVD set.
"We condemn it in the strongest possible terms and have halted all future shipments of the DVDs, removed it from our digital platforms and will edit the scene for all future airings on any distribution domestic or international," so the network says in a newly-released statement. The cable additionally says it will return the crucial episode to digital platforms after the scene is edited out.
HBO has previously expressed its regret after the show's creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss said in the DVD commentary for season 1 that George W. Bush's head appears in a couple of beheading scenes. "We were deeply dismayed to see this and find it unacceptable, disrespectful and in very bad taste," the network stated soon after the issue spread on internet.
Benioff and Weiss also released their own statement, saying, "We meant no disrespect to the former President and apologize if anything we said or did suggested otherwise." The writer duo also pointed out in their commentary that they did not intend to make a political statement with the scene.
More Game of Thrones News
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'
- Drake Hints at Releasing New Music on His 30th Birthday. Get Details on His Celebration
- Blac Chyna Pokes Fun at Her Pregnancy Curves, Compares Herself to a Pokemon
- Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal's Love Turns to Hatred in 'Nocturnal Animals' First Full Trailer
- Jay-Z and Beyonce Are Both Upset With 'Nut Job' Kanye West Following His Rant
- Justin Bieber Scolds Concertgoers for Screaming at Manchester Show