CNN Cancels 'John King, USA', Replaces It With 'The Situation Room'
CNN has pulled the plug on "John King, USA" after the evening news show keeps struggling in ratings. The program, which debuted in March 2010, will end its run on June 29, with Wolf Blitzer's "The Situation Room" being set to expand to three hours to fill the 6 P.M. slot.
In an email to Talking Points Memo (TPM), John King admits, "I obviously wish we had performed better after the shift to 6p." He adds, "But we have struggled and as we discussed the final stretch of the campaign, it just made more sense for me to try to help by doing what I most love to do: traveling the country and reporting campaigns."
"When I was asked to do this, we were always clear it would be temporary - daily newscast anchoring is not what I am built do do," he continues sharing. "But that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed the program didn't perform better... I'd be lying if I didn't say it stings. But I'm also very excited to get out of the office and out into the country."
After wrapping up his weeknight show, King will return to his role as the network's lead political reporter and cover the 2012 election campaign. The 48-year-old journalist has previously covered seven presidential campaigns, four of them with CNN.
- Kourtney Kardashian on Reconciling With Scott Disick: 'I'm So Not There Yet'
- Listen to Preview of Carly Rae Jepsen's 'E.Mo.Tion: Side B' Tracks
- Here's Your First Look at Kristin Chenoweth's Easter on 'American Gods'
- Prince's Paisley Park Home Will Be Open for Public in October
- Terminally Ill Fan Got Special Screening of 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Before Passing
- Here's What Blac Chyna Thinks of Kylie Jenner Playing Step Mom to King Cairo
- 'Mr. Robot' 2.09 Preview: It's Time to Go Home
- Lady GaGa's New Song 'Perfect Illusion' Reportedly due Out Next Week