CNN Cancels 'John King, USA', Replaces It With 'The Situation Room'
CNN has pulled the plug on "John King, USA" after the evening news show keeps struggling in ratings. The program, which debuted in March 2010, will end its run on June 29, with Wolf Blitzer's "The Situation Room" being set to expand to three hours to fill the 6 P.M. slot.
In an email to Talking Points Memo (TPM), John King admits, "I obviously wish we had performed better after the shift to 6p." He adds, "But we have struggled and as we discussed the final stretch of the campaign, it just made more sense for me to try to help by doing what I most love to do: traveling the country and reporting campaigns."
"When I was asked to do this, we were always clear it would be temporary - daily newscast anchoring is not what I am built do do," he continues sharing. "But that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed the program didn't perform better... I'd be lying if I didn't say it stings. But I'm also very excited to get out of the office and out into the country."
After wrapping up his weeknight show, King will return to his role as the network's lead political reporter and cover the 2012 election campaign. The 48-year-old journalist has previously covered seven presidential campaigns, four of them with CNN.
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger
- Meet the Ravagers From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'