CNN Cancels 'John King, USA', Replaces It With 'The Situation Room'
CNN has pulled the plug on "John King, USA" after the evening news show keeps struggling in ratings. The program, which debuted in March 2010, will end its run on June 29, with Wolf Blitzer's "The Situation Room" being set to expand to three hours to fill the 6 P.M. slot.
In an email to Talking Points Memo (TPM), John King admits, "I obviously wish we had performed better after the shift to 6p." He adds, "But we have struggled and as we discussed the final stretch of the campaign, it just made more sense for me to try to help by doing what I most love to do: traveling the country and reporting campaigns."
"When I was asked to do this, we were always clear it would be temporary - daily newscast anchoring is not what I am built do do," he continues sharing. "But that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed the program didn't perform better... I'd be lying if I didn't say it stings. But I'm also very excited to get out of the office and out into the country."
After wrapping up his weeknight show, King will return to his role as the network's lead political reporter and cover the 2012 election campaign. The 48-year-old journalist has previously covered seven presidential campaigns, four of them with CNN.
- Kylie Jenner Teases Her Secret Project in Seductive Instagram Photos
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Could Have More Than Six Episodes
- Alec Baldwin, Mark Ruffalo and Michael Moore Stage a Star-Studded Anti-Trump Protest in NYC
- 'Good Behavior' Gets Season 2 Renewal
- Hailee Steinfeld Confirms Her Return for 'Pitch Perfect 3'
- Jenna Dewan Having 'Big Fight' With Channing Tatum Over Her Nude Photo
- Katy Perry Goes Blonde as She Throws Surprise Birthday Bash for Orlando Bloom
- Ariana Grande Flaunts Her Slender Body in Pics to Tease Her Upcoming Tour