CNN Cancels 'John King, USA', Replaces It With 'The Situation Room'
CNN has pulled the plug on "John King, USA" after the evening news show keeps struggling in ratings. The program, which debuted in March 2010, will end its run on June 29, with Wolf Blitzer's "The Situation Room" being set to expand to three hours to fill the 6 P.M. slot.
In an email to Talking Points Memo (TPM), John King admits, "I obviously wish we had performed better after the shift to 6p." He adds, "But we have struggled and as we discussed the final stretch of the campaign, it just made more sense for me to try to help by doing what I most love to do: traveling the country and reporting campaigns."
"When I was asked to do this, we were always clear it would be temporary - daily newscast anchoring is not what I am built do do," he continues sharing. "But that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed the program didn't perform better... I'd be lying if I didn't say it stings. But I'm also very excited to get out of the office and out into the country."
After wrapping up his weeknight show, King will return to his role as the network's lead political reporter and cover the 2012 election campaign. The 48-year-old journalist has previously covered seven presidential campaigns, four of them with CNN.
- Justin Bieber Shares His Old Mugshot, Reflects on His Troubled Past
- 'The Predator' Release Date Pushed Back
- 'Deadpool 2' and 'New Mutants' Get Release Dates
- Video: Kylie Jenner Holding Hands With Travis Scott
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' and Release Date Officially Announced
- Jay-Z Renews Deal With Live Nation
- 'Avatar' Sequels Release Dates Unveiled
- Kourtney Kardashian Goes Undercover as News Reporter and Nobody Recognizes Her