Matthew McConaughey Details His Romantic Proposal to Camila Alves
Matthew McConaughey proposed to Camila Alves half a year ago, but he never gave details of the special moment until recently. The "Magic Mike" actor revealed to PEOPLE that he presented a rose-cut Cathy Waterman engagement ring to her as a Christmas gift and buried it inside multiple boxes.
"It was the last gift to be opened and I wrapped it in seven different boxes so Camila would have to keep unwrapping," McConaughey recalled the romantic proposal which happened last winter. "She got the ring, I took a knee and asked her to marry me and take my name. After a bit, she conceded ... thankfully."
McConaughey and Alves got married on Saturday, June 9 in their home in Austin, Texas. The groom donned a three-piece black Dolce & Gabbana tuxedo with a bow tie. The bride wore a long-sleeved lace gown and lace veil handmade by a favorite Brazilian designer. She completed her look with an elegant headpiece, 10-carat earrings and white Stuart Weitzman heels
The headband, which was designed initially as a bracelet, is accented with pearls and diamonds and "has a beautiful Edwardian, art deco feel." The earrings, meanwhile, feature pear-shaped center diamonds for "a very romantic, soft look," the designer revealed. "She wanted to wear her hair back with the glamorous earrings."
Matthew and Camila started dating in 2007. She gave birth to their son Levi Alves McConaughey in July 2008 and their daughter Vida Alves McConaughey in January 2010. Vida served as the ring bearer and flower girl during the nuptials.
Of the kids reaction to the wedding, Alves said, "They are both very excited. Somehow they both seem to understand what we are doing on a spiritual level." She added, "Levi has asked me many times over the years, 'Mama, why am I a McConaughey but you aren't?' "
More Matthew McConaughey News
- Kylie Jenner Asks Tyga to Move Back Into Her House
- Rihanna Is Unhappy Kanye West Put Her in Bed With Donald Trump and George W. Bush in 'Famous' Video
- Iggy Azalea Gets Thanked for 'Ruining Hip-Hop.' See Her Reaction
- Winona Ryder Defends Ex Johnny Depp Against Amber Heard's Abuse Allegations
- 'Star Trek Beyond' New Trailer: Captain Kirk Makes His Last Report
- Tyrese Gibson Confirms Return to 'Transformers: The Last Knight'
- Chris Brown Sued by Suge Knight Over 2014 Club Shooting. What's Breezy's Fault?
- Taylor Swift Tells Her Friends She's 'in Love' With Tom Hiddleston as Couple Enjoy Roman Holiday