Matthew McConaughey Details His Romantic Proposal to Camila Alves
Matthew McConaughey proposed to Camila Alves half a year ago, but he never gave details of the special moment until recently. The "Magic Mike" actor revealed to PEOPLE that he presented a rose-cut Cathy Waterman engagement ring to her as a Christmas gift and buried it inside multiple boxes.
"It was the last gift to be opened and I wrapped it in seven different boxes so Camila would have to keep unwrapping," McConaughey recalled the romantic proposal which happened last winter. "She got the ring, I took a knee and asked her to marry me and take my name. After a bit, she conceded ... thankfully."
McConaughey and Alves got married on Saturday, June 9 in their home in Austin, Texas. The groom donned a three-piece black Dolce & Gabbana tuxedo with a bow tie. The bride wore a long-sleeved lace gown and lace veil handmade by a favorite Brazilian designer. She completed her look with an elegant headpiece, 10-carat earrings and white Stuart Weitzman heels
The headband, which was designed initially as a bracelet, is accented with pearls and diamonds and "has a beautiful Edwardian, art deco feel." The earrings, meanwhile, feature pear-shaped center diamonds for "a very romantic, soft look," the designer revealed. "She wanted to wear her hair back with the glamorous earrings."
Matthew and Camila started dating in 2007. She gave birth to their son Levi Alves McConaughey in July 2008 and their daughter Vida Alves McConaughey in January 2010. Vida served as the ring bearer and flower girl during the nuptials.
Of the kids reaction to the wedding, Alves said, "They are both very excited. Somehow they both seem to understand what we are doing on a spiritual level." She added, "Levi has asked me many times over the years, 'Mama, why am I a McConaughey but you aren't?' "
More Matthew McConaughey News
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' May Be Johnny Depp's Last Disney Film
- Meghan Markle Involved in Nazi and Satanism Scandal
- Caitlyn Jenner Is Saving Her Vagina for Mr. Right
- PARTYNEXTDOOR Unfollows Zayn Malik, Deletes All Trace of Their Collab on Social Media
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern
- Phoebe Tonkin and Paul Wesley Enjoy Intimate Dinner - Back On?
- 'World War Z 2' Will Likely Reunite David Fincher and Brad Pitt