'Game of Thrones' Creators: No Political Reason in Showing George W. Bush's Head on Spike
It turns out that "Game of Thrones" season 1 features former president George W. Bush, but not in a gracious way. Months after the first chapter of the HBO series ended, the show's creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss admit that they use a fake decapitated head of the politician in several scenes.
"People may not have noticed this but back up...the last head on the left is George Bush," says one of the writer duo in a DVD commentary for season 1 while the scene featuring Bush is shown. The other one adds, "George Bush's head appears in a couple of beheading scenes," but insists that "it's not a choice, it's not a political statement. We just had to use whatever head we had around."
The ex-Commander in Chief himself has not commented on his appearance, but Craig Eaton, chairman of the Brooklyn Republican Party, says he's disgusted by his fellow Republican's "appearance" on the show. "I think that it's despicable. As a country, Democrats, Republicans, we have to have respect for the office and the individuals," he tells the MailOnline.
"Once we lose that respect, the United States looks weak. Think about what people outside the country think when they see how Americans are disparaging their own former presidents," Eaton adds. "Whether you like him or dislike him, whether you're of the same political persuasion or not, we still have to respect the office of the presidency and all of those who hold that presidency."
Although the show's creators have explained that they don't intend to condemn Bush and his policies with the scenes, Eaton says, ''It doesn't matter what their intent is. They didn't intend it to be political, but now that it is, they should remove it." He further tells people to boycott the medieval series as saying, "Americans of all political persuasions should stand up and demand that things like this should not continue."
One scene featuring Bush's decapitated head appears in episode 10 of season 1. In it, Joffrey Baratheon forces Sansa Stark to look at her father's head on spike, which is apparently displayed along with several other decapitated heads. Bush's face is not completely visible, but the shape clearly shows that it's his.
George W. Bush's decapitated head in "Game of Thrones" scene:
More Game of Thrones News
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic