Andy Samberg's First Post-'SNL' Role Is 'Spiritual Ninja' on 'Cuckoo'
Andy Samberg has landed another TV gig after departing from "Saturday Night Live". BBC Three has officially announced that the Quincy of "Friends with Benefits" will star on its upcoming six-part comedy series "Cuckoo".
On the British show, the 33-year-old comedian/writer plays a slacker who marries a girl (Tamia Kari) during her one-year trip before she goes to college. He meets her parents (Greg Davies and Helen Baxendale), who are horrified when introduced to their new son-in-law.
Samberg's character is further described as "square-jawed, self-appointed spiritual ninja" who is full of outlandish, New Age ideas and "every parent's worst nightmare." Created and written by Robin French and Kieron Quirke, the series will be filmed over the summer and projected to air later this year.
Executive producer Ash Atalla (U.K.'s "The Office") hopes the show "cements the special relationship between" the United States and England. "The best of British meets the toast of Hollywood," so he said in a statement. "I imagine [President Barack] Obama and [U.K. Prime Minister David] Cameron will be watching closely."
Samberg will soon be seen in Adam Sandler's starring comedy film "That's My Boy", which is due to come out June 15 in theaters across the nation. He also lends his voice for animated 3D movie "Hotel Transylvania", which is slated for September 28 release.
More Andy Samberg News
- Dakota Fanning's Parents Are Divorcing After 27 Years of Marriage
- Kevin Jonas Welcomes His Second Child With Wife Danielle
- Mariah Carey's Rep Reveals Lovers' Quarrel in Greece Leads to Her Split From James Packer
- 'Will and Grace' Revival in the Works
- Jealous Rob Kardashian Under Investigation for Threatening Blac Chyna's Alleged Lover
- 'Cormoran Strike' Series Based on J.K. Rowling's Novels Lands at HBO
- Miley Cyrus Talks Engagement Ring That She Puts Back On After Liam Hemsworth Reconciliation
- Raven-Symone Leaving 'The View' For 'That's So Raven' Spin-Off