Shonda Rhimes Slams 'Bunheads' Over Lack of Diversity
Having won a number of recognitions at NAACP Image Awards, Shonda Rhimes isn't holding back her criticism over the lack of black actors on "Bunheads". At almost the same time the show premiered on ABC Family, the creator of Golden Globe-winning series "Grey's Anatomy" wrote on her Twitter page, "Hey @abcfbunheads: really? You couldn't cast even ONE young dancer of color so I could feel good about my kid watching this show? NOT ONE?"
Created by Amy Sherman-Palladino who also developed "Gilmore Girls", "Bunheads" focuses on Sutton Foster's Michelle, a former ballerina turned Vegas showgirl. She impulsively marries a man, moves to his coastal town and takes an uneasy role at her new mother-in-law's dance school. The show also highlights the relationship between Michelle and four young girls in the dance class, played by Bailey Buntain, Emma Dumont, Julia Goldani Telles and Kaitlyn Jenkins.
The drama series will return with a new episode on Monday, June 18 at 9/8c. In the said outing titled "For Fanny", Michelle's rocky start with her new mother-in-law finally seems to smooth out until an unexpected occurrence turns everything on end. Michelle quickly finds herself back at odds with Fanny, but at the same time wanting to empathize with her. Meanwhile, inspired by Fanny's students, Michelle has an idea to help Fanny face the reality of the situation.
"Bunheads" 1.02 preview:
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed