ABC Files Opposition in Response to CBS 'Glass House' Restraining Order Request
As expected, ABC filed its opposition to CBS' temporary restraining order (TRO) request in "The Glass House" case on Monday, June 11. In a document filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, the defendant urges Judge Gary Allen Feess not to halt the reality show's premiere.
In the 31-page filing, the Alphabet says that the Eye "seeks a wholly unprecedented restraining order based on the alleged misappropriation of processes and techniques already well known to everyone who has ever worked in reality television." The defendant further claims that there's no "secret process" obtained from CBS by hiring people who previously worked on "Big Brother".
"None of the alleged similarities shared by Big Brother and The Glass House involve copyright protectable elements," ABC argues over the accusation that its new game show rips off "BB". "They are all generic staples of the reality show genre; people living in a house, competing with each other to avoid elimination, and winning a prize."
The Alphabet further accuses CBS of being "anticompetitive" for trying to block "Glass House" and "prevent American viewers from watching both shows to choose which shows they prefer (or to choose both)." ABC additionally reveals that it has spent $27 million developing the show, and it would suffer a "total loss" if Judge Feess grants CBS the TRO.
CBS is expected to file its reply brief on Tuesday, before the judge determines whether "Glass House" could premiere as planned on June 18. Previously, ABC tried to slow down CBS' TRO request by asking for more time to file its official opposition, but the judge denied it.
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding