Artist of the Week: Phillip Phillips
Phillip Phillips is storming Billboard charts, hot on heels of his win in "American Idol" season 11. The Georgia native climbed to No. 10 on Hot 100 and bowed at No. 2 on Digital Songs chart with his coronation single "Home" which sold 278,000 downloads in its debut week.
He became the first "Idol" champion in the past four years to have his victory single breaking through the top 10 on the U.S. single chart. The last winner from the singing competition reaching the Top 10 was David Cook of Season 7. He peaked at No. 3 with "The Time of My Life" in 2008.
He also scored the second-best digital sales week for any "Idol" contestant following Kelly Clarkson's "My Life Would Suck Without You" (280,000). It additionally became the biggest sales week for any coronation single by any "Idol" winner since SoundScan began tracking downloads in 2003.
On Hot 200, Phillip bowed at No. 11 with his "Journey to the Finale". He made the highest debut among "Idol" alums that released new albums in the same week. Haley Reinhart bowed at No. 17, Kris Allen entered at No. 26, and Jessica Sanchez landed at No. 126 with her own "Journey to the Finale" album.
Phillip is currently on the road to recovery after undergoing surgery for his kidney problem. "Just want to tell everyone thank you for the concerns and prayers, it means a lot to my family and I. Im just resting and healing," he tweeted to his followers.
He is expected to recover in time to hit the road with the rest of Top 10 contestants for a summer tour which will kick off July 6. He's also preparing new materials for his upcoming debut studio album. "[I am] excited for the tour and excited to hear my album! I cant wait but also really nervous," he said.
- Caitlyn Jenner to Become Mom Next Year as She's Banned From Meeting Baby Dream
- Rihanna Squashes Beyonce Grammys Feud Rumors: 'This Is Just Unnecessary!'
- Zac Efron Goes Shirtless in Teaser Trailer for 'Baywatch'
- 'Reign' Canceled by The CW After 4 Seasons
- It's Official! Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner Are Dating
- Are Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera Collaborating on New 'Glory' Remix?
- Sia Splits From Husband of Two Years, Erik Anders Lang
- Is Angelina Jolie Giving Brad Pitt a Second Chance?