John Mayer on Taylor Swift's 'Dear John': 'It Made Me Feel Terrible'
Not everybody is happy when Taylor Swift used her personal life as an inspiration for her song. Swift's former flame, John Mayer, admitted that he was "humiliated" by the song "Dear John", which was said to be inspired by her broken relationship with the "Your Body Is a Wonderland" hitmaker.
"It made me feel terrible because I didn't deserve it," the 34-year-old singer said in an interview for the latest issue of Rolling Stone magazine. "I'm pretty good at taking accountability now, and I never did anything to deserve that. It was a really lousy thing for her to do."
Swift's "Dear John" is included in her 2010 best-selling studio effort "Speak Now". In the single, the 22-year-old songstress sings, "Dear John, I see it all, now it was wrong/Don't you think 19 is too young to be played by your dark twisted games, when I loved you so?"
Commenting on the lyrics which allegedly were dedicated to him, Mayer said, "I don't want to go into that." He went on claiming, "I never got an e-mail. I never got a phone call. I was really caught off-guard, and it really humiliated me at a time when I'd already been dressed down. I mean, how would you feel if, at the lowest you've ever been, someone kicked you even lower?"
As a musician, the Connecticut-born singer thought that Swift's "Dear John" is lack of quality. "I will say as a songwriter that I think it's kind of cheap songwriting," he said. "I know she's the biggest thing in the world, and I'm not trying to sink anybody's ship, but I think it's abusing your talent to rub your hands together and go, 'Wait till he gets a load of this!' That's bulls***."
Mayer and Swift were romantically linked from late 2009 until June 2010. In an interview shortly after releasing "Dear John", Swift said it was obvious who the man behind the song was. She said, "There are things that were little nuances of the relationship, little hints. Everyone will know, so I don't really have to send out e-mails on this one."
More John Mayer News
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern
- Phoebe Tonkin and Paul Wesley Enjoy Intimate Dinner - Back On?
- 'World War Z 2' Will Likely Reunite David Fincher and Brad Pitt
- Kourtney Kardashian's Looking for 'More Loyal Soulmate' as She's 'So Over' Scott Disick
- Is Meghan Markle Planning to Get Pregnant Before Marrying Prince Harry?
- Hailee Steinfeld, Kelsea Ballerini and Sofia Carson to Perform Britney Spears Medley at RDMA 2017
- Nam Joo Hyuk's Fans Angered by His Relationship With Lee Sung Kyung