Mary-Kate, Ashley Olsen and Johnny Depp Win Big at 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards
Sister duo Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen added another trophy to their collection. The actresses-turned-designers got their latest prize along with Johnny Depp in a ceremony hosted by Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) on Monday, June 4 at Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center.
Mary-Kate and Ashley were awarded Womenswear Designer of the Year for their couture fashion label, The Row, that "reflects a sense of relaxed and timeless elegance, focusing on fine fabrics and the perfect fit." They beat out Marc Jacobs and Proenza Schouler designers, Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez.
The two, who were named members of CFDA in 2009, came to the event wearing their collection from the clothing line. Mary-Kate sporting darker locks completed her look with Louis Vuitton shoes, while Ashley chose a pair of Manolo Blahniks. Actress Lauren Hutton also donned The Row, opting for a white suit she paired with a matching t-shirt.
Depp got Fashion Icon Award, but he was absent from the gathering. CFDA president and designer Diane von Furstenberg praised the actor for being "hot and talented." Director John Waters, who once worked with him in 1990's "Cry-Baby", accepted the award on his behalf and jokingly dubbed him as "the star who made dirty hair fashionable."
Recognizing the outstanding contributions made to American fashion by individuals from all areas of the industry and related arts, the event was attended by Jessica Chastain, Zoe Saldana, Sophia Bush, Mandy Moore, Matthew Bomer, Kate Bosworth, Dakota Fanning, Anna Wintour, Lily Collins, Julianne Hough and more.
- Womenswear Designer of the Year: Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen
- Menswear Designer of the Year: Billy Reid
- Accessory Designer of the Year: Reed Krakoff
- Suno for Swarovski Award for Womenswear: Joseph Altuzarra
- Swarovski Award for Menswear: Phillip Lim
- Swarovski Award for Accessory Design: Tabitha Simmons
- Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award: Tommy Hilfiger
- International Award: Rei Kawakubo
- Founders Award: Andrew Rosen
- Media Award: Scott Schuman and Garance Dore
- Fashion Icon Award: Johnny Depp
More Mary-Kate Olsen News
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!
- Katy Perry's New Album in the Works, Tour to Follow in 2017
- Justin Bieber Launches Another Bizarre Rant
- Sharon Osbourne Defends Kelly for Trashing Ozzy's Alleged Mistress, Can't Help Laughing at It
- Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley Returning to Host 2016 CMA Awards