Mary-Kate, Ashley Olsen and Johnny Depp Win Big at 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards
Sister duo Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen added another trophy to their collection. The actresses-turned-designers got their latest prize along with Johnny Depp in a ceremony hosted by Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) on Monday, June 4 at Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center.
Mary-Kate and Ashley were awarded Womenswear Designer of the Year for their couture fashion label, The Row, that "reflects a sense of relaxed and timeless elegance, focusing on fine fabrics and the perfect fit." They beat out Marc Jacobs and Proenza Schouler designers, Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez.
The two, who were named members of CFDA in 2009, came to the event wearing their collection from the clothing line. Mary-Kate sporting darker locks completed her look with Louis Vuitton shoes, while Ashley chose a pair of Manolo Blahniks. Actress Lauren Hutton also donned The Row, opting for a white suit she paired with a matching t-shirt.
Depp got Fashion Icon Award, but he was absent from the gathering. CFDA president and designer Diane von Furstenberg praised the actor for being "hot and talented." Director John Waters, who once worked with him in 1990's "Cry-Baby", accepted the award on his behalf and jokingly dubbed him as "the star who made dirty hair fashionable."
Recognizing the outstanding contributions made to American fashion by individuals from all areas of the industry and related arts, the event was attended by Jessica Chastain, Zoe Saldana, Sophia Bush, Mandy Moore, Matthew Bomer, Kate Bosworth, Dakota Fanning, Anna Wintour, Lily Collins, Julianne Hough and more.
- Womenswear Designer of the Year: Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen
- Menswear Designer of the Year: Billy Reid
- Accessory Designer of the Year: Reed Krakoff
- Suno for Swarovski Award for Womenswear: Joseph Altuzarra
- Swarovski Award for Menswear: Phillip Lim
- Swarovski Award for Accessory Design: Tabitha Simmons
- Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award: Tommy Hilfiger
- International Award: Rei Kawakubo
- Founders Award: Andrew Rosen
- Media Award: Scott Schuman and Garance Dore
- Fashion Icon Award: Johnny Depp
- Ellen Pompeo Admits She Stays on 'Grey's Anatomy' Because of Her Age
- James McAvoy Is a Psychopath in 'Split' Trailer
- Kristen Stewart 'So Much Happier' With Girlfriend Alicia Cargile Than With Any Man
- Watch: Elizabeth Banks, Idina Menzel and More Stars Cover 'Fight Song' for Hillary Clinton
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke