Dish Gets Restraining Order Against TV Networks in Ad-Skipping Case
Dish Network has scored a win first in ad-skipping case against TV networks. On Wednesday, May 30, a federal court judge in New York issued a temporary restraining order which halts FOX and other TV broadcasters' lawsuits filed in California against the satellite television provider.
The temporary restraining order could be lifted at a hearing that is scheduled to take place on July 2. By the time, U.S. District Court Judge Laura Swain will have determined whether all of the court cases should be consolidated.
Dish Network has since expressed its joy over the victory. "We're pleased that the New York federal court has entered a TRO against Fox until the New York court decides whether the suits filed by FOX, CBS and NBC in California should be enjoined in favor of Dish's suit in New York," so the company's executive vp and general counsel, R. Stanton Dodge, stated. "Dish looks forward to presenting its case and prevailing on the merits."
Meanwhile, FOX responded to the ruling by saying in a statement, "We look forward to making our case against DISH for copyright infringement and breach of contract in court."
On Thursday, May 24, FOX, CBS and NBC filed their lawsuits against Dish separately in California. The TV networks claimed the satellite broadcaster's AutoHop service, which allows consumers to skip television ads, violates their copyright.
However, Dish had earlier filed its own lawsuit in New York, seeking a "declaratory judgment" that its AutoHop feature is legal. Playing down the TV networks' complaints, it said that "viewers have been skipping commercials since the advent of the remote control."
More FOX News
- Baby Before Marriage? Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Reportedly Expecting Their First Child
- 'DWTS' Pair Sharna Burgess and Bonner Bolton Fuel Dating Rumors With Flirty Night Out
- Kevin Hart Creates Dimwitted Superhero in First Trailer for 'Captain Underpants'
- Drake Getting Sade's Face Tattooed on His Rib Amid Dating Rumors
- Wiz Khalifa and Juicy J's New Music Video for 'Cell Ready' Is Smoking Hot
- Inside Celine Dion's Diva Behavior on 'The Voice': 'She Was Extremely Entitled'
- Miley Cryrus and Liam Hemsworth Build Playground at Malibu House - Is Baby on the Way?
- 'Spider-Man' Spin-Off About Black Cat and Silver Sable Is in Development