UCLA Insists P. Diddy's Son Deserves College Scholarship
UCLA defended its decision to give a full scholarship to P. Diddy's son Justin Combs. Some argued that the teen should not receive the fund since he has had enough money from his rap mogul father to pay the tuition, but the university through its spokesperson Ricardo Vazquez insisted Justin deserved the scholarship due to his talent in sports.
"There is a big separation between financial aid based on need and how that's funded and how athletic scholarships are funded and awarded to students," the rep explained. "Unlike need-based scholarships, athletic scholarships are awarded to students strictly on the basis of their athletic and academic ability - not their financial need."
The representative elaborated further, "Athletic scholarships, such as those awarded to football or basketball players, do not rely on state funds. Instead, these scholarships are entirely funded through UCLA Athletics ticket sales, corporate partnerships, media contracts and private donations from supporters."
Justin graduated from New Rochelle Iona Prep in New York with a 3.75 GPA, and got a free ride to UCLA on a $54,000 football scholarship. He also got scholarship offers from Illinois, Virginia and Wyoming, but chose the prestigious University of California. "Playing Division I football was a lifelong dream of mine, and through hard work I was able to achieve it," he said.
P. Diddy said he couldn't be more proud of his son. "That's probably the proudest moment of my life," the rapper gushed. "You have a proud moment when you have kids, but when they grow up and they're able to grow up into men or grow up into women, it takes your pride to another level. For him to do that on his own and get a full-ride scholarship!"
More P. Diddy News
- Cara Delevingne Goes Bottomless to Raise Awareness for Cancer. See the Racy Snap
- Kim and Kourtney Throw Pampering Session for Khloe Kardashian Following Her Second Divorce Filing
- Listen to The Weeknd and Cashmere Cat's 'Wild Love' Collab
- Robert Zemeckis Developing Noah's Ark in Space for NBC
- Kylie Jenner Flashes Her Bra Like Kendall After Denying Boob Job Rumors
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Put Their Wedding on Hold. Find Out Why!
- Usher Releases Two New Tracks Off 'Hard II Love'
- Rihanna Gets the Biggest Gift Ever From Drake in Honor of Her VMAs Win