UCLA Insists P. Diddy's Son Deserves College Scholarship
UCLA defended its decision to give a full scholarship to P. Diddy's son Justin Combs. Some argued that the teen should not receive the fund since he has had enough money from his rap mogul father to pay the tuition, but the university through its spokesperson Ricardo Vazquez insisted Justin deserved the scholarship due to his talent in sports.
"There is a big separation between financial aid based on need and how that's funded and how athletic scholarships are funded and awarded to students," the rep explained. "Unlike need-based scholarships, athletic scholarships are awarded to students strictly on the basis of their athletic and academic ability - not their financial need."
The representative elaborated further, "Athletic scholarships, such as those awarded to football or basketball players, do not rely on state funds. Instead, these scholarships are entirely funded through UCLA Athletics ticket sales, corporate partnerships, media contracts and private donations from supporters."
Justin graduated from New Rochelle Iona Prep in New York with a 3.75 GPA, and got a free ride to UCLA on a $54,000 football scholarship. He also got scholarship offers from Illinois, Virginia and Wyoming, but chose the prestigious University of California. "Playing Division I football was a lifelong dream of mine, and through hard work I was able to achieve it," he said.
P. Diddy said he couldn't be more proud of his son. "That's probably the proudest moment of my life," the rapper gushed. "You have a proud moment when you have kids, but when they grow up and they're able to grow up into men or grow up into women, it takes your pride to another level. For him to do that on his own and get a full-ride scholarship!"
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences