Kathie Lee Gifford Apologizes to Martin Short for Awkward Questions About Deceased Wife
Kathie Lee Gifford made a big blunder when interviewing Martin Short on "Today" Show Wednesday, May 30. The host mistakenly asked him about his wife Nancy Dolman who died two years ago, but has since realized her mistake and apologized for it.
"I send my sincerest apologies to @MartinShort and his family," Kathie tweeted. She additionally thanked the actor for keeping it cool when answering her cringe-worthy questions. "He handled situation w/enormous grace and kindness and I'm so grateful," so she stated.
Martin appeared on the NBC morning show to promote his new movie "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted". Things got awkward when she said, "He and Nancy have one of the greatest marriages of anybody in show business. How many years now for you guys?"
"We ..umm.. married 36 years," he answered. Having no clue about the error, she kept pestering him by saying, "But you're still, like, in love?" to which he replied with a smile, "Madly, madly in love." When asked why, he simply said, "Cute, I'm cute." Co-host Hoda Kotb then interjected, "That is true."
In addition to apologizing on Twitter, Kathie offered her apology in front of audience after commercial break. Apparently informed about her mistake backstage, she "felt bad" and said, "My apologies to him and his family for not realizing that."
While Kathie was sorry for asking the insensitive question, Martin chose not to make a fuss out of it. "Marty never even addressed it with us, he just moved right along. We appreciate if everyone else might do the same so as not to make a huge deal about it either," his rep told The Daily News.
Fans weighed in on the awkward moment by sharing their thoughts on Twitter as well. "Kathy (sic) Lee Gifford just had an #epicfail (sic)," one wrote, while another posted, "Just saw Kathy Lee Gifford ask Marty Short abt (about) his wife/marriage. She died abt 2 yrs ago. Gulp! He was very gracious."
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal