Elvis Presley's Original Tomb at Forest Hill Cemetery Up for Sale
The crypt, where Elvis Presley was temporarily buried before being laid in his final resting place at Graceland, is being auctioned off. It will be sold during Julien's Auctions on the first day of a two-day "Music Icons" auction that will run June 23 and 24.
The tomb, which is located at the Forest Hill Cemetery in Memphis, Tennessee, will go on sale with starting price of $100,000. The highest bidder will receive the crypt, opening and closing of the vault for burial, a memorialization inscription and use of the chapel for a committal service.
Commenting on some who might consider the auction "morbid," Darren Julien told New York Times, "I just consider that if you're an ultimate fan of Elvis Presley, it's an opportunity." He added, "It's definitely a conversation piece. Only one person can say, 'Hey, I'm going to be buried where Elvis Presley was'."
The King of Rock and Roll, who died on August 16, 1977 at the age of 42, was laid in the tomb for two months alongside his mother Gladys. It has remained empty ever since and was marked only by a statue commemorating his brief stay there.
In addition to putting up the crypt for auction, Julien will sell a robe worn by Amy Winehouse in her "Rehab" music video, a cigarette packet signed by The Beatles and Chinese ceramic dogs from Meat Loaf's collection at the upcoming event.
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?
- Trey Songz Slams Nicki Minaj: She Ain't Had S**t Before Me
- Han Solo Movie Adds 'Sing Street' Star Ian Kenny