Elvis Presley's Original Tomb at Forest Hill Cemetery Up for Sale
The crypt, where Elvis Presley was temporarily buried before being laid in his final resting place at Graceland, is being auctioned off. It will be sold during Julien's Auctions on the first day of a two-day "Music Icons" auction that will run June 23 and 24.
The tomb, which is located at the Forest Hill Cemetery in Memphis, Tennessee, will go on sale with starting price of $100,000. The highest bidder will receive the crypt, opening and closing of the vault for burial, a memorialization inscription and use of the chapel for a committal service.
Commenting on some who might consider the auction "morbid," Darren Julien told New York Times, "I just consider that if you're an ultimate fan of Elvis Presley, it's an opportunity." He added, "It's definitely a conversation piece. Only one person can say, 'Hey, I'm going to be buried where Elvis Presley was'."
The King of Rock and Roll, who died on August 16, 1977 at the age of 42, was laid in the tomb for two months alongside his mother Gladys. It has remained empty ever since and was marked only by a statue commemorating his brief stay there.
In addition to putting up the crypt for auction, Julien will sell a robe worn by Amy Winehouse in her "Rehab" music video, a cigarette packet signed by The Beatles and Chinese ceramic dogs from Meat Loaf's collection at the upcoming event.
- Cathriona White's Letter Reveals Jim Carrey Called Her a 'Whore' and Gave Her STDs
- 50 Cent Starts 'Empire' Feud With Taraji P. Henson, Jussie Smollett Also Weighs In
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.14 Preview: An Ambush
- Angelina Jolie's Ambition to Become a Head of the UN Might Cause Split From Brad Pitt
- Taylor Swift Debuts New Haircut, Parties With Gwyneth Paltrow, Mick Jagger at Liberty Ross' Birthday
- Watch Performances From Rihanna, Demi Lovato, Chris Martin and More at Global Citizen Festival 2016
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!