Kevin Costner Says His Love for America's Past Drove Him to 'Hatfields and McCoys'
Kevin Costner has opened up about what drove him to star on small screen miniseries "Hatfields & McCoys". Though the three-part series took years to be developed, the Oscar winner admitted that his love for America's history had kept him bonded with the project.
Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter during the premiere event of the show, Costner gushed, "From the first page I started reading and understanding and I got lodged completely in the story." He added, "I was thrilled with the history of our country."
"Even when it borders on being embarrassing or violent or shameful, I'm still thrilled with the story of our country and the Hatfields and McCoys are part of that DNA," the 57-year-old actor added.
During the chat, Costner also talked about his character William Anderson "Devil Anse" Hatfield, whose moniker has sparked debates among some parties. "It was a nickname and there's a couple schools of thought of where it might of come from," he said.
"He hunted bears when he war really young," Costner explained. "Another, he was such a clever guy in war. So, where the nickname came from, it's not sourced where everyone agrees on, but that was a nickname, 'Devil Anse'."
"Hatfields & McCoys" is based on a real-life story of Hatfield-McCoy saga which started with misunderstandings and resentments. As hostilities grew, friends, neighbors and outside forces joined the fight, bringing two states to the brink of another Civil War.
The minieries will premiere on Monday, May 28 at 9 P.M. on the History Channel. Aside from Costner, the show stars Golden Globe nominee Bill Paxton as Randall McCoy.
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic
- Move Out Rihanna! Drake Wakes Up Next to 'the Most Beautiful Woman' After His Birthday Party
- 'Carpool Karaoke': Lady GaGa Is Novice Driver, James Corden Tries on Her Infamous Costumes
- Shia LaBeouf Is a Marine With PTSD in 'Man Down' Teaser Trailer
- Rihanna Sends Taylor Swift a Warning After Pop Diva Spent Her Night Partying With Drake