Kevin Costner Says His Love for America's Past Drove Him to 'Hatfields and McCoys'
Kevin Costner has opened up about what drove him to star on small screen miniseries "Hatfields & McCoys". Though the three-part series took years to be developed, the Oscar winner admitted that his love for America's history had kept him bonded with the project.
Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter during the premiere event of the show, Costner gushed, "From the first page I started reading and understanding and I got lodged completely in the story." He added, "I was thrilled with the history of our country."
"Even when it borders on being embarrassing or violent or shameful, I'm still thrilled with the story of our country and the Hatfields and McCoys are part of that DNA," the 57-year-old actor added.
During the chat, Costner also talked about his character William Anderson "Devil Anse" Hatfield, whose moniker has sparked debates among some parties. "It was a nickname and there's a couple schools of thought of where it might of come from," he said.
"He hunted bears when he war really young," Costner explained. "Another, he was such a clever guy in war. So, where the nickname came from, it's not sourced where everyone agrees on, but that was a nickname, 'Devil Anse'."
"Hatfields & McCoys" is based on a real-life story of Hatfield-McCoy saga which started with misunderstandings and resentments. As hostilities grew, friends, neighbors and outside forces joined the fight, bringing two states to the brink of another Civil War.
The minieries will premiere on Monday, May 28 at 9 P.M. on the History Channel. Aside from Costner, the show stars Golden Globe nominee Bill Paxton as Randall McCoy.
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture
- Iggy Azalea and French Montana Are Pictured Kissing as a Source Confirms Their Relationship
- It's Official: 'Pretty Little Liars' to End With Season 7, 'Grimm' Canceled After 6 Seasons
- Red Band Trailer for 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' Sees Halle Berry as the Comedian's Bond Girl
- Watch Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj Ooze Sexiness in 'Side to Side' Video