Michael Haneke's 'Amour' Claims Coveted Palme d'Or Prize at Cannes Film Festival
The 65th annual Cannes Film Festival has revealed which movie deserved to claim its top prize of Palme d'Or. On Sunday night, May 27, it was announced that Michael Haneke's highly praised drama "Amour" has won the prestigious award.
Upon receiving the prize with lead actors Jean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva, the 70-year-old director said, "I thank my wife, who has been putting up with me for years." He added, "Thanks to my wonderful actors. They are the essence of it."
This was the second time the Munich-born moviemaker won the coveted Palme d'Or gong at Cannes. Back in 2009, the Austrian filmmaker took home the same award through his acclaimed work in "The White Ribbon".
Former "Casino Royale" villain Mads Mikkelsen was named the Best Actor thanks to his role as a man who is wrongfully accused of sexually abusing a child in "The Hunt (2012)". In his speech, the Danish actor gushed, "I'm really touched, and it's a big surprise."
Sharing the Best Actress title are Cristina Flutur and Cosmina Stratan. They were honored for their roles as a nun and her jealous former lesbian partner in "Beyond the Hill". The screenwriter of the movie, Cristian Mungiu, additionally took home the award for Best Screenplay.
On the other hand, Sundance sensation "Beasts of the Southern Wild" grabbed the Camera d'Or kudo. The critics darling movie also took home the Fipresci Awards for Un Certain Regard.
"Beasts" director Benh Zeitlin said on his speech, "For everyone making their first film, it's an award for courage and faith as much as skill." He added, "Cannes is the temple. You never know if you're allowed to dance in the temple, and I've found out that you can."
The main Jury Prize went to Ken Loach's "The Angels' Share". Upon accepting the kudo, Loach said in fluent French, "Thanks to the jury; you're very nice. Cannes shows us that cinema is not just a diversion, it shows us who we are and how we live together."
The 2012 Cannes Film Festival has been wrapped on Sunday in the French Riviera resort. The winners were selected by a team of jury, led by Italian director Nanni Moretti. Also included in the team were actors Ewan McGregor and Diane Kruger, director Alexander Payne as well as fashion designer Jean-Paul Gaultier.
The closing ceremonies were followed by a screening of Claude Miller's "Therese Desqueyroux" and an official dinner and cocktail for VIP guests.
Main Jury Prizes:
- Palme d'Or: "Amour", directed by Michael Haneke
- Grand Prix: "Reality", directed by Matteo Garrone
- Director: Carlos Reygadas, "Post tenebras lux"
- Jury prize: "The Angels' Share", directed by Ken Loach
- Actor: Mads Mikkelsen, "The Hunt (2012)"
- Actress (tie): Cristina Flutur and Cosmina Stratan, "Beyond the Hills"
- Screenplay: Cristian Mungiu, "Beyond the Hills"
- Main prize: "After Lucia", directed by Michel Franco
- Jury prize: "Le grand soir", directed by Benoit Delepine and Gustave Kervern
- Actress (tie): Emilie Dequenne, "Our Children"; Suzanne Clement, "Laurence Anyways"
- Special distinction of the jury: "Children of Sarajevo", directed by Aida Begic
- Camera d'Or: "Beasts of the Southern Wild", directed by Benh Zeitlin
- Critics' Week Grand Prix: "Here and There", directed by Antonio Mendez Esparza
- Palme d'Or: "Silence", directed by Rezan Yesilbas
- Competition: "In the Fog", directed by Sergei Loznitsa
- Un Certain Regard: "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
- Directors' Fortnight: "Hold Back", directed by Rachid Djaidani
- Ecumenical Prize: "The Hunt (2012)", directed by Thomas Vinterberg
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked