Mary J. Blige's Charity Slapped With Two Lawsuits
Mary J. Blige is hit with two lawsuits at once. The Grammy-winning singer's charity The Mary J. Blige and Steve Stoute Foundation for the Advancement of Women Now is sued by TD Bank over unpaid loan. A group of artists also claimed they were not paid for performing at one of the charity's fundraising events.
TD Bank claimed in its lawsuit that the charity took out $250,000 in June 2011 but only paid $400 so far. The agreement was to pay it all back in December 2011 but the foundation only managed to give the small amount. The bank said they have sent the foundation two written notices in February but got no response.
As for the unpaid salary, a lawyer for the singing group said the checks given to the musicians bounced back. "We got a whole series of checks - rubber," Harvey Mars told NY Post. The lawsuit stated the foundation owed the group a total of $167,252 for wages and penalties.
In addition, reports said the non-profit organization has hundreds of thousands of dollars in missing donations and does not have an office or a valid telephone number.
A rep for Blige told TMZ, "The Mary J. Blige and Steve Stoute Foundation For The Advancement Of Women Now, Inc. (FFAWN) is presently transitioning its management and headquarters. We remain committed to our mandate of helping women gain the confidence and skills necessary to reach their full individual potential."
- Khloe Kardashian Sparks Engagement Rumors After Spotted With Diamond Ring
- 'The Foreigner' Trailer: Jackie Chan Get Revenge on Pierce Brosnan
- Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Call It Quits
- Alleged Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber Collab 'Steal Our Love' Leaks Online
- New Couple Alert? Katy Perry and Chris Martin Are Spotted Holding Hands
- Super Junior's Leeteuk Gets Robbed in Switzerland
- Kardashian-Jenner Sisters Throw Surprise Birthday Party for Khloe
- Evidence of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo's Rendezvous in Bali Revealed