Kris Allen Thought 'American Idol' Should End
"American Idol" is worn out, according to one of its former champions. Kris Allen who beat Adam Lambert in season 8 said he did not catch up the finale on Wednesday, May 23 night where Phillip Phillips was crowned the new winner.
Allen said further in the video by TMZ that it might be time to pull the plug on the show for good. The 26-year-old may got a point for his opinion because "Idol" reached a new finale low. The 11th season ender averaged 21.5 million total viewers, way down from 29.5 million for the season 10 finale. The biggest number pulled in a finale so far is season 6 where Jordin Sparks was the winner.
However, "Idol" had the top rating for any broadcast show since Academy Awards which was aired on ABC in February. It is also still FOX's ammo to win the night.
Moreover, success doesn't always entail "Idol" winners these days, at least not when compared to the early seasons. Allen's first album after "Idol", for example, could not pass the top 10 of Billboard Hot 200 like debut albums by Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson among others. There's a rumor that Allen's second will only sell 15 to 20k in its first week.
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'
- Did Olivia Munn Just Throw Shade at Aaron Rodgers' Family?