'Duets' Premiere: Kelly Clarkson's Proteges Land on Bottom Two
A day after "American Idol" wrapped up its eleventh season, another singing competition show "Duets" has kicked off its first season. The premiere episode airing Thursday, May 24 opened with mentors/judges Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, Robin Thicke and Jennifer Nettles performing "Let Me Entertain You".
They later roamed across the United States to find two people each whom they'd like to have a duet with. Clarkson picked Jordan Meredith and Jason Farol, Nettles chose J Rome and John Glosson, Legend nabbed Johnny Gray and Bridget Carrington, while Thicke recruited Alexis Foster and Olivia Chisholm.
Nettles took the stage first with Rome to sing Sugarland's "Tonight", before she had a duet of "Stay" with Glosson later on the show. Legend sang "Ordinary People" with Gray, and "Tonight (Best You Ever Had)" with Carrington.
Thicke and Chisholm teamed up in a performance of "Lost Without You". The R&B singer then sang his hit single "Magic" with Foster. As for Clarkson, she sang "Breaking Your Own Heart" with Farol before launching into a performance of "Stronger" with Meredith.
After each performance, the non-performing mentors gave their reviews, which all sounded nice so far. The non-performing judges also scored the contestants based on performance and presentation.
At the end of the night, host Quddus announced that Rome topped the leaderboard. Gray, Foster, Glosson, Chisholm, Carrington, Meredith and Farol followed in respective orders, meaning that both of Clarkson's proteges landed on the bottom two. "That's a little suspect," she commented on the rankings. Fortunately for her, there's no elimination on the first episode.
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic