Marvel Comics Plans Its First Ever Gay Wedding Plot in 'Astonishing X-Men'
After scoring multiple records through its film, "The Avengers", Marvel continues to make another groundbreaking creation through their comic division. The New York-based publisher announced on Wednesday, May 22 that it will host a same-sex wedding for its first ever openly gay superhero Northstar and his long-time boyfriend.
Northstar, whose human persona is known as Jean-Paul Beaubier, is set to tie the knot with his beau Kyle Jinadu this summer. The story will be told in "Astonishing X-Men" No. 51, which is due to be released in the United States on June 20.
"Astonishing X-Men" writer Marjorie Liu said of Beaubier and Jinadu's relationship, "The story of Northstar and Kyle is universal, and at the core of everything I write: a powerful love between two people who have to fight for it against all odds."
The writer added, "This is the quintessential Marvel story, one that blends the modern world with the fantasy of superheroes in order to tell an exciting story that begins with a wedding and continues in ways you can't imagine."
Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Axel Alonso added, as quoted by The Rolling Stones, "When gay marriage became legal in New York State, it raised obvious questions since most of our heroes reside in New York State. Northstar is the first openly gay character in comics and he's been in a longterm relationship with his partner Kyle so the big question was - how would this change his relationship?"
Northstar first revealed he was gay in the pages of "Alpha Flight" No. 106 released back in 1992. Their upcoming wedding will mark the first same-sex marriage happens in the Marvel Universe. Alonso added in another statement, "The Marvel Universe has always reflected the world outside your window, so we strive to make sure our characters, relationships and stories are grounded in that reality."
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West
- 'Game of Thrones' 6.07 Preview: More Unexpected Returns