Feminists Protest the Lack of Female Directors at Cannes Film Festival
Not everyone is happy with world-class event like the 2012 Cannes Film Festival. Last Sunday, May 20, a group of French feminists interrupted the formal occasion by throwing a protest on the red carpet.
According to the Associated Press, those feminists were upset about the lack of female directors who take part at this year's Cannes. Around five women from La Barbe donned fake beards and stood on the red carpet during the special screening of Michael Haneke's "Amour".
Unfazed by the hard rain, they carried various signs that read, "Marveilleux," ''Merci!!!" ''Splendide," ''Incredible!" and "Le Barbe." It was said that they had already sent a petition to the festival organizers, complaining about the male-dominated festival line-up published in Le Monde and The Guardian newspapers.
The fact that none of the 22 movies competing for the Palme D'Or prize was helmed by a woman also spurred feminist protest in the United States. AP reported that there has been a petition signed by nearly 2,000 people, including feminist icon Gloria Steinhem and filmmaker Gillian Armstrong.
Regarding the issue, Cannes' artistic director, Thierry Fremaux, said that he didn't pick films based on who had made them. He added that those titles were chosen "without regard to race, color, sex, language, religion, political opinion" or any other external factor.
The 65th annual Cannes Film Festival takes place from May 16 to 27. Italian actor and filmmaker Nanni Moretti will preside over the jury.
- Katy Perry Wants to Celebrate Her $25M 'American Idol' Paycheck With a 'Beautiful Man'
- Hailey Baldwin Goes Braless for Maxim as She's Dubbed the World's Sexiest Woman
- 'The Voice' Live Finale Part 2: And the Winner of Season 12 Is....
- Kim Kardashian Faces Backlash Over Insensitive Tribute to Manchester Attack Victims
- Future Enlists Kendrick Lamar on 'Mask Off' Remix - Listen
- Karrueche Tran Denied Permanent Restraining Order Against Chris Brown
- Rita Ora Flaunts Ample Cleavage in Plunging Mini Dress at De Grisogono Party in Cannes
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Finale: Does the Right Contestant Win Season 24?