Artist of the Week: Karmin
Karmin was off to a great start by gaining prominent attention on the web after they uploaded their cover version of Chris Brown's single "Look at Me Now". The clip instantly went viral and became one of YouTube's most viewed videos of 2011. In addition, they were named New Media honoree at 2011 American Music Awards.
The music duo consisting of engaged couple Amy Heidemann and Nick Noonan continued to ignite the blogosphere with their covers of popular artists' songs such as Lil Wayne's "6 Foot 7 Foot" and Nicki Minaj's "Super Bass". Before the end of the year, they got signed to Epic Records and released a new original song called "Crash Your Party".
The song was picked as their introduction as a mainstream music act because it narrated their story of "crashing music industry." Sampling Black Sheep's 1991 song "The Choice Is Yours (Revisited)" and containing heavy lyrics, it got modest response by peaking at No. 36 on Billboard Pop Songs chart. On the internet, its music video received 8 million views on its first month of release.
Talking about their work, Nick once said, "The best way to classify it is hip-pop, but we want to bring back some of the heavy lyrics." Amy added, "We want music that's gonna stick around."
Next, the duo offered another new song called "Brokenhearted". Embracing the elements of pop rock, disco and R&B, the catchy song led them to climb higher on the Billboard charts. Serving as their first offering from their first major-label CD "Hello", it peaked at the runner-up position on Hot Dance Club Songs and climbed to No. 20 on Hot 100.
While riding on the success of the single, they dropped "Hello" in the market. "We thought it was a perfect title, because it's our introduction album. When you hear the songs in a row, you're going to hear our story," Amy said. They made a modest debut on Billboard Hot 200 by landing at No. 18. The album contained seven songs including "Crash Your Party" and "Brokenhearted".
- Baby Groot Angrily Kills Ravager in New 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Teaser
- Shailene Woodley Pleads Guilty to Disorderly Conduct During Pipeline Protest
- Is Chris Brown's New Sex-Drenched Single 'Privacy' to Tempt Rihanna?
- Christina El Moussa Is Dating NHL Star Nate Thompson Amid Divorce From Tarek
- Hugh Grant Dances to Drake's Song in 'Love Actually' Short Film
- Cher's 'Serious Family Issue' Forces Her to Drop Out of Lifetime's Flint Water Crisis Movie
- 'Game of Thrones': Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Teases Big Jaime-Cersei-Brienne Development in Season 7
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Direct R-Rated Musical Comedy Co-Starring Channing Tatum