Lady GaGa Landed in Philippines Despite Religious Protests
Despite oppositions against her arrival in Philippines, Lady GaGa landed in the country's capital Manila late Saturday, May 19 via private jet. At the airport, the pop star was surrounded by her bodyguards as her fans tried to get a glimpse of her and her autographs.
Protests came from young Christian groups who deemed the singer offensive particularly because of her song "Judas". They held such signs as "respect our faith, stop the blasphemy" as they marched in Manila for two days in a row. A vigil is scheduled to take place on Sunday near the concert venue.
Former Philippine Congressman Benny Abante who joined the protesters said, "She declared a distorted view toward Jesus Christ and for us Biblical Christians it is offensive. Her music and everything about her is different from what our values are." Majority of Philippines citizens are Roman Catholic. Under the country's law, people who offend race or religion can be sentenced to up to six years in prison.
The concert itself will be held on Monday and Tuesday with some restrictions. The authorities approved the concerts to be conducted but won't tolerate nudity or lewd acts. "Although we respect artistic and musical expressions, I won't allow anyone or any group to provide acts which may be questionable in a way at any venue under my jurisdiction," mayor Antonio Calixto said.
GaGa will next travel to Bangkok, Thailand and Singapore before due to play in Jakarta, Indonesia. The Indonesian concert promoters are still trying to negotiate with the local authorities to proceed with the concert despite protests from Islamic groups.
More Lady GaGa News
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'