Jackie Chan: I Will No Longer Do Action Movies
Jackie Chan may claim his fame through his clever martial arts but he's not doing it anymore. The 58-year-old Hong Kong actor told the AP on Friday, May 18 at Cannes Film Festival that he will quit action movies to become "the Asian Robert De Niro".
Chan was promoting his 100th film "Chinese Zodiac" which is confirmed to be his last action movie. "I tell you, I am not young any more ... I am really, really tired," he told reporters, adding "The world is too violent now. It's a dilemma because I like action, but I don't like the violence." Chan said people would not believe him when he told them so. "They say 'no, you're still young, you can still do it,' but I have to stop one day," he said.
On what he plans to do next, Chan admitted, "I don't just want to be an action star ... I want to be a true actor. I want to be an Asian Robert De Niro. I want to get rid of my image. So, for the last ten years I've done other films like 'The Karate Kid' where I'd rather play an old man. I want the audience to know I'm not just about fighting or comedy, also I can act."
"Chinese Zodiac", in which he plays a fortune seeker, has taken its toll on his body. "It hurts, it really hurts. The shoulder, the ankle, it really hurts. You don't know because I still look healthy," he said.
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip