Jackie Chan: I Will No Longer Do Action Movies
Jackie Chan may claim his fame through his clever martial arts but he's not doing it anymore. The 58-year-old Hong Kong actor told the AP on Friday, May 18 at Cannes Film Festival that he will quit action movies to become "the Asian Robert De Niro".
Chan was promoting his 100th film "Chinese Zodiac" which is confirmed to be his last action movie. "I tell you, I am not young any more ... I am really, really tired," he told reporters, adding "The world is too violent now. It's a dilemma because I like action, but I don't like the violence." Chan said people would not believe him when he told them so. "They say 'no, you're still young, you can still do it,' but I have to stop one day," he said.
On what he plans to do next, Chan admitted, "I don't just want to be an action star ... I want to be a true actor. I want to be an Asian Robert De Niro. I want to get rid of my image. So, for the last ten years I've done other films like 'The Karate Kid' where I'd rather play an old man. I want the audience to know I'm not just about fighting or comedy, also I can act."
"Chinese Zodiac", in which he plays a fortune seeker, has taken its toll on his body. "It hurts, it really hurts. The shoulder, the ankle, it really hurts. You don't know because I still look healthy," he said.
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Nipples in Sheer Bra for Love Magazine
- Kanye West in Talks to Join Revival of 'American Idol'
- Midlife Crisis? Leonardo DiCaprio Will Do Anything to Stay Young
- Harry Styles Is 'Terrified' His Debut Solo Single Will Not Sell
- Kim Kardashian Drops Baby Bombshell to Save 'KUWTK' Ratings
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'