Jackie Chan: I Will No Longer Do Action Movies
Jackie Chan may claim his fame through his clever martial arts but he's not doing it anymore. The 58-year-old Hong Kong actor told the AP on Friday, May 18 at Cannes Film Festival that he will quit action movies to become "the Asian Robert De Niro".
Chan was promoting his 100th film "Chinese Zodiac" which is confirmed to be his last action movie. "I tell you, I am not young any more ... I am really, really tired," he told reporters, adding "The world is too violent now. It's a dilemma because I like action, but I don't like the violence." Chan said people would not believe him when he told them so. "They say 'no, you're still young, you can still do it,' but I have to stop one day," he said.
On what he plans to do next, Chan admitted, "I don't just want to be an action star ... I want to be a true actor. I want to be an Asian Robert De Niro. I want to get rid of my image. So, for the last ten years I've done other films like 'The Karate Kid' where I'd rather play an old man. I want the audience to know I'm not just about fighting or comedy, also I can act."
"Chinese Zodiac", in which he plays a fortune seeker, has taken its toll on his body. "It hurts, it really hurts. The shoulder, the ankle, it really hurts. You don't know because I still look healthy," he said.
- Kylie Jenner and PARTYNEXTDOOR Spotted 'Making Out' at Drake's Party
- 'X-Men' Show 'Legion' Gets Series Order at FX. See the First Picture!
- Rolling Stones' Ronnie Wood Welcomes Twins at Age 68
- Tyga's New Lady Demi Rose Tries to Copy Kylie Jenner by Wearing Similar Strappy Bikini
- Shawn Mendes Teases His Upcoming Album
- Kim Kardashian Visits Snapchat Office. See Some Exclusive Filters She Gets!
- Alicia Keys Goes Makeup Free, Pens Powerful Essay About Overcoming Her Insecurities
- Simon Cowell and His Snarky Comments Make Return on 'America's Got Talent' Season 11 Premiere