Adam Yauch Remembered in New York State Senate Resolution
Adam Yauch was honored by New York State Senate in a resolution that celebrated his life, legacy and love for the city where he grew up. The resolution was penned by State Senator Daniel Squadron from the district of Brooklyn Heights where the late rapper was born.
The late Beastie Boys member was remembered by the Senate as "a man of colossal talent and charisma." He was praised for his contribution to the entertainment and cultural enrichment of his community and the entire State of New York with his commitment and creative talent.
"The Beastie Boys became well-known in the innovative music scene in Manhattan's East Village and Lower East Side with a sound and a style all their own. [They] exemplified New York through a period in which grassroots creativity and a community of iconoclastic artists helped redefine and rejuvenate a city on the ropes, with iconic imagery from Brooklyn to Ludlow Street."
MCA's philanthropic works are also recognized in the resolution. He "was an activist and founder of the Milarepa Fund, a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting awareness about abuses in Tibet," the Senate recounted.
"Adam Yauch is survived by his wife, Dechen Wengdu, and their daughter Losel. He will be missed by his family, his fans and all who knew him; his dedication to his music, his activism and his heritage leaves an indelible legacy of inspiration for all other artists."
The resolution allowed the senate to "pause in its deliberations to mourn the death of famed rapper and activist Adam 'MCA' Yauch."
- 'The Bachelorette': JoJo Picks Final Two After Ruining a Suitor's Fantasy Suite Date
- Justin Bieber and Cody Simpson's Unreleased Song 'Stay Together' Surfaces Online
- 'He's a Dirty Dog!' Sharon Osbourne Blasts Ozzy for Comments on Their Marriage
- Katharine McPhee and Boyfriend Elyes Gabel Call It Quits After Two Years
- Demi Lovato Speaks on Mental Illness, Performs 'Confident' at DNC Opening Night
- Lindsay Lohan Responds to Relationship Drama After Accusing Fiance of Strangling Her
- Britney Spears, U2, Drake, Ariana Grande Lead an Amazing 2016 iHeartRadio Music Festival Line-Up
- Kylie Jenner Launches Kyshadow Collection