Video: David Beckham Ribbed by Obama During L.A. Galaxy's Visit to the White House
David Beckham has become the subject of President Barack Obama's jokes recently. The world famous soccer star and his Los Angeles Galaxy teammates visited the White House on Tuesday, May 15, and found himself cracking smile as the U.S. president took a jab at his age and his line of underwear in his welcoming speech.
Obama began ribbing the former England captain as he congratulated the L.A. Galaxy on their third Major League Soccer Cup title. After calling the team "the Miami Heat of soccer" and Ireland's Robbie Keane "a cousin of mine", he turned his attention to the husband of Victoria Adams and said, "We also have a young up-and-comer on the team, a guy named David Beckham."
"I have to say I gave David a hard time - I said half his teammates could be his kids," the president continued on. "We're getting old, David. Although you're holding up better than me." Having said that Beckham is tough, he joked, "In fact, it is a rare man who can be that tough on the field and also have his own line of underwear."
Aside from being honored by the president, Beckham and his team came to the White House to join First Lady Michelle Obama on the South Lawn for a Let's Move! Soccer clinic with students from across the country. USA Today reported that the event was canceled due to inclement weather, but some of the team players conducted a question-and-answer session with the kids.
More David Beckham News
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival