Robert Downey Jr. Is the Highest-Paid Star in 'The Avengers'
Robert Downey Jr. reportedly is the highest-paid star in "The Avengers". The Hollywood Reporter has learned that the "Iron Man" actor seems to be the lone exception to Marvel Studios' strict cost controls since the thesp is set to pocket at least $50 million from the mega blockbuster movie.
Downey Jr.'s pay blows away the other "Avengers" stars' paychecks. It was said that Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Jeremy Renner and Mark Ruffalo will all bag an estimated $2 million to $3 million from the movie. As for Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johansson, who signed agreements to appear in several Marvel films, are reported to be collecting twice of that.
Downey Jr. got the high wage because his reps had renegotiated a deal to include what is said to be "a slice of Marvel's revenue from the future movies in which he plays Iron Man." The deal was sealed when the first armored hero movie surprisingly scored a massive $585 million worldwide in 2008.
"The Avengers" has surpassed its $1 billion mark in less than 20 days. Should the superhero movie beat the $1.32 billion gross of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II", it will be the third highest grossing movie of all time, trailing behind James Cameron's "Avatar" ($2.8 billion) and "Titanic" ($2.2 billion).
As for Downey Jr., though he seems to grab a high fee from the Marvel movie, his income is apparently smaller than actors or directors in other blockbuster flicks. According to THR, Johnny Depp made at least $250 million from starring in four "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, while filmmaker Michael Bay took in $80 million from 2007's "Transformers" only.
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs