Robert Downey Jr. Is the Highest-Paid Star in 'The Avengers'
Robert Downey Jr. reportedly is the highest-paid star in "The Avengers". The Hollywood Reporter has learned that the "Iron Man" actor seems to be the lone exception to Marvel Studios' strict cost controls since the thesp is set to pocket at least $50 million from the mega blockbuster movie.
Downey Jr.'s pay blows away the other "Avengers" stars' paychecks. It was said that Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Jeremy Renner and Mark Ruffalo will all bag an estimated $2 million to $3 million from the movie. As for Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johansson, who signed agreements to appear in several Marvel films, are reported to be collecting twice of that.
Downey Jr. got the high wage because his reps had renegotiated a deal to include what is said to be "a slice of Marvel's revenue from the future movies in which he plays Iron Man." The deal was sealed when the first armored hero movie surprisingly scored a massive $585 million worldwide in 2008.
"The Avengers" has surpassed its $1 billion mark in less than 20 days. Should the superhero movie beat the $1.32 billion gross of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II", it will be the third highest grossing movie of all time, trailing behind James Cameron's "Avatar" ($2.8 billion) and "Titanic" ($2.2 billion).
As for Downey Jr., though he seems to grab a high fee from the Marvel movie, his income is apparently smaller than actors or directors in other blockbuster flicks. According to THR, Johnny Depp made at least $250 million from starring in four "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, while filmmaker Michael Bay took in $80 million from 2007's "Transformers" only.
- Lea Michele Cuddles With Late Boyfriend Cory Monteith in Heartbreaking Throwback Photo
- 'The Walking Dead' Producers Didn't Tone Down the Violence Despite Previous Claim
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Zoolander 2' Lead 2017 Razzie Award Nominations
- Kylie Jenner Flaunts Her Killer Curves in New Puma Campaign
- Darren Criss Will Play Villain in 'The Flash' and 'Supergirl' Musical Crossover
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' First On-Set Photo Unearthed
- 'Jurassic World 2' Casts 'The Detour' Star Daniella Pineda in Key Role
- Fox News Dumps Controversial Contributor Stacey Dash