Robert Downey Jr. Is the Highest-Paid Star in 'The Avengers'
Robert Downey Jr. reportedly is the highest-paid star in "The Avengers". The Hollywood Reporter has learned that the "Iron Man" actor seems to be the lone exception to Marvel Studios' strict cost controls since the thesp is set to pocket at least $50 million from the mega blockbuster movie.
Downey Jr.'s pay blows away the other "Avengers" stars' paychecks. It was said that Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Jeremy Renner and Mark Ruffalo will all bag an estimated $2 million to $3 million from the movie. As for Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johansson, who signed agreements to appear in several Marvel films, are reported to be collecting twice of that.
Downey Jr. got the high wage because his reps had renegotiated a deal to include what is said to be "a slice of Marvel's revenue from the future movies in which he plays Iron Man." The deal was sealed when the first armored hero movie surprisingly scored a massive $585 million worldwide in 2008.
"The Avengers" has surpassed its $1 billion mark in less than 20 days. Should the superhero movie beat the $1.32 billion gross of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II", it will be the third highest grossing movie of all time, trailing behind James Cameron's "Avatar" ($2.8 billion) and "Titanic" ($2.2 billion).
As for Downey Jr., though he seems to grab a high fee from the Marvel movie, his income is apparently smaller than actors or directors in other blockbuster flicks. According to THR, Johnny Depp made at least $250 million from starring in four "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, while filmmaker Michael Bay took in $80 million from 2007's "Transformers" only.
More The Avengers News
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics