Adam McKay Explains Why 'Anchorman 2' Teaser Released Sooner Than Expected
Director/screenwriter Adam McKay explained why the first teaser for "Anchorman 2" arrives sooner than expected despite the fact that the sequel hasn't even finished its screenwriting stage. Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, McKay said that the teaser idea was made to inspire him while he's finalizing the script.
"Paramount came to us with the idea of the teaser, and since we're writing the script, it was a good chance to see the characters and hang out with the actors to inspire writing," he said. "All of the actors slipped right into character and they all looked amazing. Paul [Rudd] has a beard and we're thinking of keeping it. Kind of an Eddie Rabbit-meets-Serpico look."
McKay also opened up that the teaser was actually a top-secret project. He jokingly explained that shooting the minute-long footage "was like the Manhattan Project - except without the possibility of destroying all of mankind." McKay added that reintroducing Ron Bugundy and his news team was like an "afternoon delight."
The first teaser for the "Anchorman" sequel will be attached to the screenings of Sacha Baron Cohen's latest mockumentary "The Dictator", which opens wide in the U.S. on May 16. Teasing fans on the special treat, McKay once tweeted, "See the Dictator (I worked on it and it's crazy funny), in addition to Campaign trailer with Zach and Will there's another treat before it."
The teaser aside, McKay joked about the idea of the sequel's plot. "Nothing's set," he claimed. "Right now I can say for sure there is no Ghost Rider cameo or a scene where Ron fights a wolverine on a nose-diving helicopter. We're either going to shoot the movie in 3D or 1/2D."
"Anchorman 2" will bring back Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd and David Koechner as Burgundy, Brick Tamland, Brian Fantana and Champion "Champ" Kind respectively. The project is expected to kick off its principal photography in February 2013.
- Cashmere Cat Releases New Single 'Trust Nobody' Ft. Selena Gomez
- Rob Kardashian Regrets Tweeting Kylie Jenner's Number: 'It Was Miscommunication'
- Kristen Stewart Spooked by Ghost in 'Personal Shopper' Trailer
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Reach Temporary Custody Deal That Includes Family Counseling
- Fifth Harmony's Ally Brooke Falls After Ambushed by Fan on Stage
- Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Welcome Their Second Child
- Producer Says Daniel Craig Is Still the 'First Choice' for Next James Bond Movie
- All One Directioners, Except Zayn Malik, Congratulate Niall Horan on His First Solo Single