Clay Aiken: 20 Years From Now, We'll Be Ashamed That We Opposed Gay Marriage
Clay Aiken believes that people will be left embarrassed by their current opposition to same-sex marriage in the future. The former "American Idol" runner-up voiced his opinion on the controversial subject when appearing alongside Tony Perkins, the president of anti-gay marriage Family Research Council, on CBS' "Face the Nation" Sunday, May 13.
Speaking out against Perkins' statement that same-sex marriage forces churches "to accept relationships that run counter to their religious tradition," the 33-year-old singer said, "When my mother married my stepfather, she went to a church, a Baptist church, and since she had been divorced they wouldn't let her get married there." He added, "So churches don't - are able to decide who gets married at a church and regardless."
"Obviously, you've got - you've got people who make the argument that interracial relationships back in the seventies, people made the same arguments against interracial relationships, as they're making against same-sex marriages today," he continued. "So I feel - I really strongly believe that in the next twenty years, we're going to look back on this, and be sort of ashamed of the fact that we were against this, just as we're ashamed today that we didn't let people of - of different races get married."
Asked how "coming out" impacted his career in the country music industry, the current contestant on "The Celebrity Apprentice" responded, "I think today it's even less conservative in national in the - in the country music world than it is - that it was in 2003 when I was on 'Idol'. It hasn't really had much of an impact at all in a negative sense. It's had more of a positive impact."
The "Bring Back My Love" singer furthermore pointed out, "I think between the time of 2003 to today, we've seen as we've seen with gay marriage polling, we've seen minds changing. We've seen people becoming more open and understanding of - of homosexuality."
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival
- Blac Chyna Reportedly Dating Kourtney Kardashian's Former Beau Quincy Combs