Ellen DeGeneres, Lady GaGa, Jane Lynch Rejoice Over Obama's Gay Marriage Support
A number of celebrities took to Twitter to share their joy upon learning that President Barack Obama confirmed his plan to legalize same-sex marriage. Ellen DeGeneres, Lady GaGa, Jane Lynch and Neil Patrick Harris, along with other LGBT supporters, thanked the commander-in-chief for supporting the gay community.
"The Ellen DeGeneres Show" host wrote, "Thank you President @BarackObama for your beautiful and brave words. I'm overwhelmed." The Mother Monster tweeted, "Obama, congratulations on being the first sitting President to support marriage equality. Feels like the future, and not the past. #NoFear."
The "How I Met Your Mother" actor posted, "Bravo, Mr. President, and thank you." The "Glee" star tweeted, "Pretty darn happy today. Thanks Mr President, for supporting the dignity of my family and so many others!"
Alec Baldwin cheered on Obama by writing, "Obama gets it right on gay marriage. Bravo." Tyra Banks applauded Mr. President in a posting, "A fierce day for my gays and my prez @BarackObama - way 2 stand up 4 luv for ALL!" Adam Levine gushed, "thank you @BarackObama for reminding us all that true leadership is not dead."
Sophia Bush tweeted, "Thank you Mr. President. @BarackObama speaks up for #Equality today." Josh Groban expressed his joy, "Historic!! #equality." Russell Simmons wrote, "thank you Mr. President for your support of gay marriage." Samantha Ronson posted, "Better late than never!!!! Obama supports same-sex marriage."
Ricky Martin tweeted, "I applaud President @barackobama for affirming that ALL Americans should enjoy equal rights. Historic! I will be a very proud host on Monday." Meghan McCain noted, "Even though he did it a little late under political pressure - very happy to hear the President come out in support of gay marriage."
Kim Kardashian joined the celebration as well. She wrote a longer posting on her blog, "Wow... I just heard that President Obama has officially announced that he supports gay marriage!! This is such a huge step forward in our country's fight for civil rights and I hope that today this will give hope to so many young people across the country."
President Obama voiced his support for the same-sex marriage when doing an interview with Robin Roberts for "Good Morning America" that will air in full on May 10. He said, "I've concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married."
More Ellen DeGeneres News
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie