Disney CEO Bob Iger Announces Plans for 'Avengers' Sequel
Walt Disney Pictures is moving forward with its plans to develop a sequel for "The Avengers". Pleased with the walloping result of the first movie that has broken box office record, the studio's CEO, Bob Iger, announced that the Earth's Mightiest Heroes are all set to return to a follow-up movie.
Earlier on Tuesday, May 8, the CEO also stopped by CNBC to discuss the future of the Marvel movie following its success. "The Avengers isn't just a film. It's a franchise from our perspective," he said.
"Obviously, it was helped a lot by the success of 'Iron Man' movies and of 'Thor' and 'Captain America'," Iger continued. "From 'The Avengers' we get a chance to make 'Thor 2' and 'Captain America 2' and 'Iron Man 3' and hopefully another 'Avengers' movie. So this one film that is immensely successful... is going to get a number of other films and franchises."
Iger additionally stated, as quoted by Deadline, that the massive success of "Avengers" is "a great illustration of why we like Marvel so much." He added that the demand for the assemble superhero movie's merchandise has been very strong.
Iger's statement added fuel to producer Kevin Feige's previous comment that Marvel could develop "The Avengers 2" sometime in the future. Feige recently told CHUD, "If we do an Avengers 2 it will be after [Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Captain America 2]. They have to grow, they have to change." He added, "What they've gone through in this movie will impact their state of mind and where they stand in their next movies."
"The Avengers" has grabbed a tremendous $207.4 million on its opening weekend in the United States. The staggering result made the Earth's Mightiest Heroes movie the biggest opening of all time, dethroning "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II" which opened to $169.2 million and became the biggest summer flick in 2011.
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says
- Kourtney Kardashian on Reconciling With Scott Disick: 'I'm So Not There Yet'
- Listen to Preview of Carly Rae Jepsen's 'E.Mo.Tion: Side B' Tracks
- Here's Your First Look at Kristin Chenoweth's Easter on 'American Gods'