First Look: Lena Headey Sports Scarface as Ma-Ma in 'Dredd'
How Lena Headey will look like as Madeline 'Ma-Ma' Madrigal in "Dredd" has been unveiled in a first look image released by Lionsgate Films. Being introduced via Los Angeles Times' Hero Complex, the picture shows Headey ditching her trademark "Game of Thrones" long blond locks and sporting scars all over her face.
Discussing her character Ma-Ma, the English actress said, "She's a prostitute who then kills her pimp and takes over his drug-running business." She added, "And Ma-Ma is a bit of a man-hater."
Explaining how she gets into the character, the 38-year-old star stated, "I think of her like an old great white shark who is just waiting for someone bigger and stronger to show up and kill her. She's ready for it. In fact, she can't wait for it to happen. And yet no one can get the job done."
"She's an addict, so she's dead in that way, but that last knock just hasn't come," she added. "This big, fat, scarred shark moving through the sea and everyone flees and she's like, 'Will someone just have the balls to do it? Please?' "
Of the dark tone of the upcoming R-rated comic book movie, Headey said, "The world [in the film] feels really British, and I don't know if that's because it's so disty and dark." She added, "And it's... violent. Just in terms of gunplay, they're not afraid to show blood and gunshot wounds. And it's set up in this concrete sort of shanty town - it's shanty but they're blocks - concrete favelas."
"Dredd" follows the titular character who is the most feared judge among other elite Street Judges in Mega City One. He has the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot if necessary. Starring as the eponymous judge is Karl Urban, who is joined in the cast ensemble by Olivia Thirlby, Jason Cope and Langley Kirkwood.
Directed by Pete Travis and written by Alex Garland, the action movie is slated for a September 21 release in the United States.
- Netflix Is Back After Crash Following 'Luke Cage' Premiere
- Gigi Hadid Trips on Runway at Paris Fashion Week
- Mail Order Bride Comedy Canned by NBC After Getting Backlash
- Robin Williams' Widow Calls the Actor's Disease 'the Terrorist Inside My Husband's Brain'
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress