Jake Owen Truly Sorry for Slamming Police Over Weekend Run-In With the Law
Jake Owen has sobered up enough to express his remorse over his Twitter rant on Cinco de Mayo. Just hours after bashing Indian River County law enforcement for detaining him on Saturday, May 5 evening, the country music crooner deleted his anti-police tweets and issued a public apology for his antics.
"Y'all I apologize," the 30-year-old first tweeted. "The IRC Sheriff was doing their job. I love hometown. I had too good of a time on Cinco de Mayo." He's still asking for an apology hours later as he posted a series of tweets that began with him saying, "I want to publicly apologize again for bringing to light a situation that I overreacted to."
"I embarrassed myself and my family and most importantly the great people of my hometown. The Sheriffs were doing their jobs and I made an immature decision to announce it to the world," he continued to explain. "This is me talking. Not some puppet that is reciting what he 'should' say. I take full responsibility. Again, what's done is done, but I am truly sorry."
TC Palm newspaper reported that Owen was briefly handcuffed by a sheriff's deputy after he was spotted dancing outside the window of the Steak 'n Shake in Vero Beach, Florida. Sheriff's Office spokesman Deputy Jeff Luther said, "He had a mask on, some type [of mask] that looked like an older man," before clarifying, "He was not arrested."
The "Barefoot Blue Jean Night" hitmaker himself made public his run-in with the law by posing a photo of himself in handcuffs, along with a note, "I just got arrested in my own hometown. I was wearing an old man mask and the sheriff decided to rip me out of Steak And Shake and embarrass me in front of my family. Classic." He later added, "You give a guy a gun and a badge and he thinks he's John Wayne. I'm calling it a night. My mom cried. My Dad was embarrassed."
- You Won't Believe How Much Mila Kunis Spent on Her Wedding Ring
- Matt Damon Fights Monsters in Epic Trailer for 'The Great Wall'
- 'Sesame Street' Fires Three Longtime Cast Members
- Find Out Which Joe Jonas' Famous Exes He Would Like to 'Shag, Marry and Kill'
- Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden's Baby Struggles Reportedly Cause Marriage Problems
- Andrew Garfield Is World War II Hero in First 'Hacksaw Ridge' Trailer
- 'Scream Queens' Adds Jerry O'Connell in Mystery Role
- Troian Bellisario Has Harsh Words for Both Kim Kardashian and Taylor Swift