'Catching Fire' Courting Michael Arndt to Rewrite Its Script
After tapping a new director, "Catching Fire" is now circling a new writer. It was The Hollywood Reporter which broke the news that the sequel to "The Hunger Games" is courting Oscar winner Michael Arndt to rewrite its script.
Multiple sources revealed that the "Little Miss Sunshine" scribe is in talks with Lionsgate Films to provide the script for the high-profile sequel project. The initial screenplay had already been written by "Slumdog Millionaire" screenwriter Simon Beaufoy.
Should Michael ink the deal with Lionsgate, he will have to "work double-time to get the script ready" due to the tight schedule caused by lead actress Jennifer Lawrence, who is also committed to 20th Century Fox's untitled X-Men: First Class sequel. The pressure from the squeezed schedule was the major reason why director Gary refused to helm the sequel.
Last April, Gary surprisingly exited the franchise. Of why he decided to left the big franchise, Gary said, "I don't have the time I need to write and prep the movie I would have wanted to make because of the fixed and tight production schedule." Lionsgate later chose Francis Lawrence to take over the helming duty.
In "Catching Fire", Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark are getting punished for their defiance. They will be forced to compete in a special 75th staging of the Hunger Games, where they must fight against past winners. Bringing back Jennifer, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth to the cast ensemble, the film is due to open wide in the U.S. on November 22, 2013.
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy
- Is Ben Affleck Done Playing Batman? WB Reportedly Plans His Exit
- Is Meek Mill Finally Ready to End Longtime Feud With Drake?
- This Transgender Performer Suggests She Had an Affair With Kanye West
- Block B's U-Kwon Tells a Fan She Looks Like Crap
- Louis Tomlinson Says His Mom's Dying Wish Was for Him to Reconcile With Zayn Malik