Adele Takes Michael Jackson's Spot on All-Time List of U.K. Best-Selling Albums
Adele outsells Michael Jackson as her studio album "21" continues to pull in steadily-strong sales number. The "Rolling in the Deep" hitmaker moves MJ out of the fifth spot on the list of U.K. best-selling albums of all time.
According to data released by the U.K. Official Charts Company, Adele has sold around 4,274,300 copies in the U.K. It's 500 more than the number that the late King of Pop has collected through his 1982 album "Thriller".
"To add to her many landmark records, Adele's achievement in overtaking Thriller in the all-time sales list is truly remarkable," says the Official Charts Company's Managing Director Martin Talbot. " 'Thriller' has long been recognized as one of the most iconic albums of all time - there is now no doubt that '21' can be spoken of in the same breath."
Taking the top spot on the list is Queen with their 1981 "Greatest Hits" album. The Beatles follow at No. 2 with "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", ABBA sit at the third with their own "Greatest Hits" compilation, and Oasis trail behind them with "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?".
Released in January 2011, "21" has spent 66 weeks on the U.K. Albums Chart, and has sat at the top spot for 23 times. This week, the critically-acclaimed album secures the runner-up place behind Jack White's solo debut "Blunderbuss".
- "Greatest Hits" (1981) - Queen
- "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (1967) - The Beatles
- "Gold: Greatest Hits" (1992) - ABBA
- "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" (1995) - Oasis
- "21" (2011) - Adele
- "Thriller" (1982) - Michael Jackson
- "Brothers in Arms" (1985) - Dire Straits
- "The Dark Side of the Moon" (1973) - Pink Floyd
- "Bad" (1987) - Michael Jackson
- "Greatest Hits II" (1991) - Queen
More Adele News
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics