Tom Cruise to Lead 'Van Helsing' Reboot Developed by 'Star Trek' Scribes
A reboot to 2004's "Van Helsing" is officially in the works. Universal Pictures has confirmed on Tuesday, May 1 that the new vampire hunter film project is set to be developed and produced by acclaimed scribe/producer duo Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci with Tom Cruise tackling the leading role and serving as the producer.
The reboot will reunite Cruise with the "Star Trek" scribes after they worked together in 2006's "Mission: Impossible 3", which was directed by J.J. Abrams. The original "Van Helsing", which starred Hugh Jackman, grossed $300 million worldwide but it was dubbed a creative failure and a potential franchise for the film had been abolished.
"Van Helsing (2016)" is part of a newly signed first look deal between Kurtzman and Orci's K/O Paper Products and Universal. In addition to the famed vampire hunter movie, the duo will develop and produce a new version of "The Mummy" alongside producer Sean Daniel and writer Jon Spaihts.
Of the two-year producing deal with Universal, Kurtzman and Orci said in a joint statement, "We're thrilled to call Universal Pictures our home. From the moment we sat down with Adam, Donna, Peter, Jeff and the entire Uni team, there was an instant flow of inspired ideas. They really understand the importance of building a strong creative team and giving our shared projects their full support. We're proud to start making movies that will live as part of Universal's enduring legacy."
Kurtzman and Orci's upcoming project is family drama "People Like Us", which will hit the U.S. theaters on June 29. They have recently been attached to pen the script for "The Amazing Spider-Man 2". As for Cruise, the A-lister will next be seen starring in musical film "Rock of Ages", which will be released nationwide on June 15.
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture