Octomom Files for Bankruptcy, Claims She Needs Fresh Start
Just days after making headlines for suspicion of child neglect, Nadya Suleman is declaring herself broke. The mother of 14, who is famously known as the Octomom, officially filed for federal bankruptcy protection in Orange County Superior Court on Monday, April 30, a scheduled date for the foreclosure auction of her La Habra home.
In a written statement e-mailed to the Orange County Register by her manager Gina Rodriguez, the 36-year-old said, "I have had to make some very difficult decisions this year, and filing Chapter 7 was one of them." She went on to explain her reason behind the move, "But I have to do what is best for my children, and I need a fresh start."
In the court documents, Suleman claimed that she's no longer able to pay her bills because she only has less than $50,000 in assets, but owes as much as $1 million in liabilities. Among her creditors were her father Ed Doud, La Habra's water department, the DMV, DirecTV and Whittier Christian School. She also owes more than $30,000 to owner of her four-bedroom home Amir Haddadin.
Suleman and her 14 children are facing eviction after the bank began foreclosure proceedings on the home she bought from Haddadin in 2009. It was previously reported that the Octomom fell 11 months behind on her $3,000 monthly payments, causing Haddadin to fall behind in paying the mortgage. The auction of the house, which was set for Monday, has been postponed for a week.
Bankruptcy aside, Suleman opened up recently that she's willing to act in a porn film to provide for her 14 children. She told HLN's Nischelle Turner, "If the opportunity comes up I'll be the first to admit: I'm gonna eat my words! Because all that matters is that I can take care of my family." Still, she insisted that she would not touch another "human's flesh" and added, "the only flesh I'm touching is my own."
- Lea Michele Cuddles With Late Boyfriend Cory Monteith in Heartbreaking Throwback Photo
- 'The Walking Dead' Producers Didn't Tone Down the Violence Despite Previous Claim
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Zoolander 2' Lead 2017 Razzie Award Nominations
- Kylie Jenner Flaunts Her Killer Curves in New Puma Campaign
- Darren Criss Will Play Villain in 'The Flash' and 'Supergirl' Musical Crossover
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' First On-Set Photo Unearthed
- 'Jurassic World 2' Casts 'The Detour' Star Daniella Pineda in Key Role
- Fox News Dumps Controversial Contributor Stacey Dash