Ted Nugent Fires Back at Fort Knox for Canceling His Concert at the Army Base
The Secret Service might have closed the case about Ted Nugent's comment on President Obama, but people at Fort Knox apparently had different opinion. The leaders at the U.S. army post called off the 63-year-old musician's scheduled concert following the remarks, causing him to get angry and fire back at the army base.
"To think that there's a bureaucrat in the United States Army that would consider the use or abuse of First Amendment rights in determining who is going to perform at an Army base is an insult," he told the Associated Press, "And defiles the sacrifices of those heroes who fought for the U.S. Constitution, Bill of Rights."
Nugent set the tongue wagging with his statement at a recent National Rifle Association convention that he would "either be dead or in jail" if the commander-in-chief were to be re-elected in November. He later clarified that he never meant to threaten anyone, but he was still called to a meeting with the Secret Service.
"There is nothing in my spoken word or written word that could be even wildly considered by any stretch of the imagination to be a threat to anyone," he insisted. "A whole bunch of us ... believe ... we are in danger of being improperly and criminally jailed - I mean criminally on the part of the government."
Of the concert cancellation itself, Fox Knox said, "After learning of opening act Ted Nugent's recent public comments about the president of the United States, Fort Knox leadership decided to cancel his performance on the installation."
"Army Entertainment and the Fort Knox Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation remain committed to carrying out the June 23 concert, and the possibility exists that a replacement will be selected."
REO Speedwagon and Styx have been tapped for the upcoming gig along with Nugent, and they are still on the performer list despite the exclusion of the "Stranglehold" singer.
- Kate Gosselin Sends Son Collin Away to Get Help for 'Special Needs'
- Leslie Jones' Nude Photos and Personal Information Leaked After Her Website Got Hacked
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago