2012 BAFTA TV Awards Nominations Led by Serial Killer Drama
Serial killer drama "Appropriate Adult" picks up four nominations at the 2012 BAFTA TV Awards. Dominic West who portrays serial killer Fred West is nominated for lead actor while co-star Emily Watson who plays the "appropriate adult" is vying for lead actress. The program, which is criticized as exaggeration of the actual murder case, is also nominated in best supporting actress for Monica Dolan and best mini-series.
Coming second in terms of the number is BBC's "Sherlock" with three. All the nods are for its cast, Benedict Cumberbatch in the lead actor category for portraying the titular character, Martin Freeman and Andrew Scott in supporting actor as Watson and Moriarty respectively. Also taking three is Channel 4's "This is England '88".
Although "Downton Abbey" is a hit in the U.S., the period drama is not so popular in its native Britain. The only nomination was for Maggie Smith in her supporting actress role of the dowager countess. It is Smith's fourth BAFTA TV nomination but could be the first that she wins.
American series taking nomination is "Modern Family", which will compete in the international series category with Australia's "The Slap" and Danish series "The Killing II" and "Borgen".
The winners will be unveiled on Sunday, May 27. The full list of nominees can be found on the official site.
- Ariana Grande Is 'Broken' After Deadly Explosion at Manchester Concert
- Major Lazer Previews Travis Scott, Quavo and Camila Cabello Collaboration During Alabama Show
- Kourtney Kardashian Never Gets Serious With Younes Bendjima as He's Just Her Fling
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 13 Premiere: The Crazy One, the Creepy One and the First Kiss
- Is Brandy Pregnant With New BF Sir the Baptist's Child?
- 'Teen Mom OG' Star Amber Portwood Denies She's Pregnant With Matt Baier's Child
- Rihanna and Lupita Nyong'o to Star in a Movie Based on a Twitter Sensation
- Kourtney Kardashian and Kendall Jenner Flaunt Booties in Skimpy Swimsuits During Vacation in Cannes