Madonna: I've Survived Juggling Motherhood and Work With Sanity and Humor Intact
Madonna is calling herself a survivor. The Material Girl sat down with veteran journalist Brian Williams in an interview for NBC's "Rock Center" that airs Wednesday, April 18 night, and opened up about how she feels about having to juggle her role as a single mother of four and as an international superstar.
Asked if it is hard being her, the ex-wife of director Guy Ritchie joked at first, "I imagine. It must be. Yes, it is. It must be hard 'cause I complained all the time." On a serious note, she said, "To be a single mother of four and to work as much as I do, to live my life in kind of a metaphorical fishbowl, it's pretty challenging. But so far I've survived with sanity and humor intact."
During the chat, Williams also brought up the subject of her teen daughter being photographed smoking a cigarette in New York City recently. Having admitted that she "wasn't very happy" about that, the "Give Me All Your Luvin' " singer said that she'd like to think she's a tough mother. She, however, was quick to say, "Honestly I don't think I'm as tough as I should be."
"I think I need to be maybe tougher," the 53-year-old went on to confess. "It's hard though...everyday is a negotiation. But cigarette smoking I'm not very fond of, for anyone, I don't approve of anyone smoking cigarettes, most of all my daughter."
When Williams pointed out that she puffs on a cigarette in her music video for "Girl Gone Wild", Madonna responded, "Yeah, I don't smoke. That's just an accessory, Harry. There's a difference." She further stated that her daughter Lourdes "smoked that cigarette before I did that video, so she didn't' get that from me, OK?"
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.14 Preview: An Ambush
- Angelina Jolie's Ambition to Become a Head of the UN Might Cause Split From Brad Pitt
- Taylor Swift Debuts New Haircut, Parties With Gwyneth Paltrow, Mick Jagger at Liberty Ross' Birthday
- Watch Performances From Rihanna, Demi Lovato, Chris Martin and More at Global Citizen Festival 2016
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!
- 'Magnificent Seven' Debuts Strong on Domestic Box Office, 'Bridget Jones's Baby' Tops Overseas
- Josh Brolin Ties the Knot With Longtime Girlfriend Kathryn Boyd. See the Photos