Madonna: I've Survived Juggling Motherhood and Work With Sanity and Humor Intact
Madonna is calling herself a survivor. The Material Girl sat down with veteran journalist Brian Williams in an interview for NBC's "Rock Center" that airs Wednesday, April 18 night, and opened up about how she feels about having to juggle her role as a single mother of four and as an international superstar.
Asked if it is hard being her, the ex-wife of director Guy Ritchie joked at first, "I imagine. It must be. Yes, it is. It must be hard 'cause I complained all the time." On a serious note, she said, "To be a single mother of four and to work as much as I do, to live my life in kind of a metaphorical fishbowl, it's pretty challenging. But so far I've survived with sanity and humor intact."
During the chat, Williams also brought up the subject of her teen daughter being photographed smoking a cigarette in New York City recently. Having admitted that she "wasn't very happy" about that, the "Give Me All Your Luvin' " singer said that she'd like to think she's a tough mother. She, however, was quick to say, "Honestly I don't think I'm as tough as I should be."
"I think I need to be maybe tougher," the 53-year-old went on to confess. "It's hard though...everyday is a negotiation. But cigarette smoking I'm not very fond of, for anyone, I don't approve of anyone smoking cigarettes, most of all my daughter."
When Williams pointed out that she puffs on a cigarette in her music video for "Girl Gone Wild", Madonna responded, "Yeah, I don't smoke. That's just an accessory, Harry. There's a difference." She further stated that her daughter Lourdes "smoked that cigarette before I did that video, so she didn't' get that from me, OK?"
More Madonna News
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'
- Wishes Turn Into Nightmares in 'Wish Upon' New Trailer
- Sade Convinces Drake Not to Diss Kendrick Lamar Over a Track
- Selena Gomez Cheers on The Weeknd at Brazilian Concert
- 'Power Rangers' Future Installment May Feature Female Green Ranger
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle