First Look at Edward Norton as Jeremy Renner's Enemy in 'Bourne Legacy'
A freshly released still from "The Bourne Legacy" has unveiled a first look at Edward Norton's Byer, who is the film's primary antagonist. Being unleashed via MTV News, the image shows Byer and Jeremy Renner's lead character Aaron Cross staring at each other in hatred.
Official plot for this fourth "Bourne" movie is still kept under tight wraps. Though so, it has been revealed that Renner will be introduced as a new hero, Cross, whose life-or-death stakes have been triggered by the events of the first three films. This upcoming movie, however, won't see Matt Damon returning as Jason Bourne.
During an interview with MTV, director Tony Gilroy explained the corelation between "Bourne Legacy" and its predecessors. "Everything that happened before was not a dream. Everything that happened was completely real, but you thought you knew what was going on," he said. "You thought you were seeing the world, and this movie is telling you that there's a much larger world, a much larger conspiracy beyond this."
"The events of the other three films are incredibly present, but they're not really in this very much. What happens in 'Ultimatum' is really the spark that's blowing open the door to this movie because the Jason Bourne story is exploding out into the public," he added. "Being impossible to conceal any further is causing problems for this much larger conspiracy. 'Ultimatum' plays in the background of the very beginning of this film."
Gilroy also discussed the difference between Jason Bourne and Renner's new character. He explained, "The great thing about Jason Bourne was that he was claustrophobically stuck down and trying to figure out this moral question. The whole second film is about an apology. It's really about this guy trying to morally come to grips with the conflict between who he thinks he is and what he's done."
"This character in this film has no moral conflict whatsoever. Jeremy Renner's character has the reverse of amnesia. He knows exactly where he's come from. He knows exactly what the stakes are if he doesn't achieve his journey. It's a very different tone, yet it will be very rewarding to people," the director continued.
In addition to Renner and Norton, "Bourne Legacy" stars Rachel Weisz, Oscar Isaac, Joan Allen and Albert Finney. Universal Pictures will release the action movie in the U.S. theaters on August 3.
- 'House of Cards' Unveils Chilling Teaser for Season 5 on Trump's Inauguration Day
- 'Green Lantern Corps' Is Eying Ryan Reynolds, Bradley Cooper and Tom Cruise
- Bella Hadid Goes Braless in Completely Sheer Top. See the Eye-Popping Pics
- Find Out Who Will Be Godparents to George and Amal Clooney's Twins
- Jackie Evancho Delivers Live Performance of National Anthem at Donald Trump's Inauguration
- Emily Ratajkowski Strips Down to Lacy Lingerie on Streets for DKNY Campaign
- Angelina Jolie Loses Her Team's Trust Amid Brad Pitt Custody War
- 'Cult of Chucky' Image Offers First Look at the Murderous Doll With No Head