First Look at Edward Norton as Jeremy Renner's Enemy in 'Bourne Legacy'
A freshly released still from "The Bourne Legacy" has unveiled a first look at Edward Norton's Byer, who is the film's primary antagonist. Being unleashed via MTV News, the image shows Byer and Jeremy Renner's lead character Aaron Cross staring at each other in hatred.
Official plot for this fourth "Bourne" movie is still kept under tight wraps. Though so, it has been revealed that Renner will be introduced as a new hero, Cross, whose life-or-death stakes have been triggered by the events of the first three films. This upcoming movie, however, won't see Matt Damon returning as Jason Bourne.
During an interview with MTV, director Tony Gilroy explained the corelation between "Bourne Legacy" and its predecessors. "Everything that happened before was not a dream. Everything that happened was completely real, but you thought you knew what was going on," he said. "You thought you were seeing the world, and this movie is telling you that there's a much larger world, a much larger conspiracy beyond this."
"The events of the other three films are incredibly present, but they're not really in this very much. What happens in 'Ultimatum' is really the spark that's blowing open the door to this movie because the Jason Bourne story is exploding out into the public," he added. "Being impossible to conceal any further is causing problems for this much larger conspiracy. 'Ultimatum' plays in the background of the very beginning of this film."
Gilroy also discussed the difference between Jason Bourne and Renner's new character. He explained, "The great thing about Jason Bourne was that he was claustrophobically stuck down and trying to figure out this moral question. The whole second film is about an apology. It's really about this guy trying to morally come to grips with the conflict between who he thinks he is and what he's done."
"This character in this film has no moral conflict whatsoever. Jeremy Renner's character has the reverse of amnesia. He knows exactly where he's come from. He knows exactly what the stakes are if he doesn't achieve his journey. It's a very different tone, yet it will be very rewarding to people," the director continued.
In addition to Renner and Norton, "Bourne Legacy" stars Rachel Weisz, Oscar Isaac, Joan Allen and Albert Finney. Universal Pictures will release the action movie in the U.S. theaters on August 3.
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Help Jimmy Kimmel Poke Fun at Hodor Twist
- Is Marriage on the Cards for Sandra Bullock and Boyfriend Bryan Randall?
- Chloe Grace Moretz Gets New Sweet Tattoo. See the Pic!
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Star Frank Dillane Arrested Following Altercation With Security Guard
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!