Tupac Shakur to Tour With Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg via Hologram Image
Hot on heels of positive response over Tupac Shakur's resurrection at the third day of Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, words run rampant that the late rapper will be brought to life once again for a tour. The hologram image of Tupac reportedly will be joined by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg.
A source told The Wall Street Journal that representatives for the Doc and Snoop will meet to discuss logistics for the roadshow. The options are holding a stadium tour involving such big stars as Eminem, 50 Cent and Wiz Khalifa, or staging a smaller tour with only Dre, Snoop and the virtual Tupac.
Tupac created buzz on the web when he's brought to life at desert party Coachella over the weekend. Although the image presented on the stage was widely described as a "hologram," it's actually a 2-D image, not a hologram, which is 3-D. He became the first dead entertainer Digital Domain Media Group Inc. has presented "live."
The idea of creating the late rapper's virtual image was presented a year ago by Dre and his production team to Digital Domain, and they began to work on it around four months ago. "This is not found footage. This is not archival footage. This is an illusion," said creative officer Ed Ulbrich. "This is just the beginning. Dre has a massive vision for this."
Such stars as Rihanna and Katy Perry have since reacted to the weekend performance. Riri tweeted, "#TupacBACK #unbelievable #IWASTHERE #STORY4myGrandKidz." In the same tone, Katy posted on her own Twitter page, "I think I might have cried when I saw Tupac. #coachella."
Not only did the performance draw rave reviews from celebrities, but it also got approval from Tupac's mother, Afeni Shakur. According to TMZ, she gave thumbs-up for her late son's virtual performance. Watching it live on the internet, she called the experience thrilling and at the same time bittersweet.
A representative for Afeni revealed she said yes when Dr. Dre asked for her approval before moving forward with his plan to bring her son on stage. As a thank you, the "I Need a Doctor" rapper reportedly made a donation to The Tupac Amaru Shakur Foundation.
Tupac was supposed to be brought to the Coachella stage along with Nate Dogg, but the latter didn't appear like it's originally planned. He got a video tribute instead.
More Tupac Shakur News
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip