Lindsey Vonn: My $1.7 Million Debt in Back Taxes Is an Important Lesson
Lindsey Vonn has been slapped with $1.7 million tax lien by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). According to public records, the World Cup and Olympic champion skier and estranged husband Thomas Vonn owe $1,705,437 in delinquent federal taxes. She has since addressed the situation through her Facebook account.
"I am disappointed with this situation," the 27-year-old athlete wrote Sunday, April 15. "I just recently became aware of the outstanding balance and I have done everything in my power to settle it immediately. The money owed was for the 2010 tax year, which was filed on time, and it has been paid in full."
The Olympic gold medalist, who is going through a divorce from her husband, continued on to admit, "This is an important lesson for me." She added, "Not being in control of my finances and relying on someone else who you believed had your best interest at heart was a mistake and one I will not make twice."
Lindsey also vowed to pay the tax bill in a statement she e-mailed the Detroit News. "It is no secret that my last year off the mountain has been filled with many personal challenges," she stated. "This matter was only recently brought to my attention and I took immediate and deliberate steps to remedy the situation. I have made arrangements to pay in full the balance due."
The IRS filed the tax lien against Lindsey and her husband on April 2 with the Elko County Recorder in Nevada. The skier, whose sponsors include Red Bull, Under Armour, Procter and Gamble and Rolex, reportedly owes the income taxes from the year she won gold in Vancouver in 2010.
More Lindsey Vonn News
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday
- Keri Russell Reveals Her Baby's Gender and Name
- Debby Ryan Gets Probation After Pleading No Contest to DUI
- Justin Bieber Falls Again on Stage During His Concert
- Scott Eastwood Is in Talks to Star in 'Pacific Rim 2'
- Video: Chris Brown Throws a Fan's Phone Used to Film Him at a Club
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Season 4 Casting News Fuels the Ghost Rider Speculation
- 'Quantico' Beauty Priyanka Chopra Reveals She Has 'Never Dated.' Here's Why