Lindsey Vonn: My $1.7 Million Debt in Back Taxes Is an Important Lesson
Lindsey Vonn has been slapped with $1.7 million tax lien by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). According to public records, the World Cup and Olympic champion skier and estranged husband Thomas Vonn owe $1,705,437 in delinquent federal taxes. She has since addressed the situation through her Facebook account.
"I am disappointed with this situation," the 27-year-old athlete wrote Sunday, April 15. "I just recently became aware of the outstanding balance and I have done everything in my power to settle it immediately. The money owed was for the 2010 tax year, which was filed on time, and it has been paid in full."
The Olympic gold medalist, who is going through a divorce from her husband, continued on to admit, "This is an important lesson for me." She added, "Not being in control of my finances and relying on someone else who you believed had your best interest at heart was a mistake and one I will not make twice."
Lindsey also vowed to pay the tax bill in a statement she e-mailed the Detroit News. "It is no secret that my last year off the mountain has been filled with many personal challenges," she stated. "This matter was only recently brought to my attention and I took immediate and deliberate steps to remedy the situation. I have made arrangements to pay in full the balance due."
The IRS filed the tax lien against Lindsey and her husband on April 2 with the Elko County Recorder in Nevada. The skier, whose sponsors include Red Bull, Under Armour, Procter and Gamble and Rolex, reportedly owes the income taxes from the year she won gold in Vancouver in 2010.
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7