Artist of the Week: Carly Rae Jepsen
Carly Rae Jepsen is sticking her claws in international music industry five years after graduating from "Canadian Idol". The 26-year-old got people hooked with her voice through "Call Me Maybe", which managed to break into the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Unlike fellow Canadian singer Justin Bieber who shot to stardom with his first album, Jepsen did not score that big with her first effort "Tug of War", which was released in 2008. She, however, redeemed it with her sophomore set "Curiosity", which peaked at number 6 on Canadian albums chart.
The latest album boasted her hit single "Call Me Maybe", which has become the first song by a Canadian artist to reach the top of Digital Songs chart since Bieber's "Baby". The single has also peaked at number 1 on songs chart in several other countries, including the U.K. and her native Canada.
Being reviewed by Bieber as "possibly the catchiest song I've ever heard," "Call Me Maybe" got a music video which features appearance by the "Boyfriend" singer and his girlfriend Selena Gomez. Their collaboration does not end there since they have worked together on a "top-secret" song.
Promising it will come out soon, Jepsen teased, "It's a really lovely song. The way he presented it was pretty cool." On how Bieber proposed the idea to her, she shared, "It was my first time meeting him. I was at the studio, and he basically just said, 'What do you think of this song?' and I was like, 'Wow, I love it.' "
Jepsen has now signed with Interscope Records, which will help "bring her music to the rest of the world," and Scooter Braun, who is the manager of "Never Say Never" hitmaker Bieber.
More Carly Rae Jepsen News
- Police Found No Evidence of Physical Abuse in Amber Heard's Case
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller's 'Spider-Man' Movie May Feature Miles Morales
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'
- Victoria's Secret Angels Give Justin Timberlake's 'Can't Stop the Feeling' Hotter Music Video