Matt Groening: I Never Said 'The Simpsons' Is Set in Springfield, Oregon
"The Simpsons" family does not reside in Springfield, Oregon after all. Following what was believed to be a big revelation about the show's location, creator Matt Groening now says his statement was misinterpreted.
"I never said Springfield was in Oregon," he clarifies. The writer insists he was saying what he had actually mentioned several times in the past, that the show's setting was named after Springfield, Oregon. "I said Springfield was the name of my sled," he confirms.
In a similar note, executive producer Al Jean tells TV Guide, "They misinterpreted something I've heard him say for at least 10 or 20 years." Backing Groening's latest statement, he says, "He was inspired by growing up in Portland, but it's really an every town."
"It's really funny. Matt grew up in Oregon and parts of The Simpsons were definitely inspired by his childhood. But there is no specific state that Springfield is in, and we will never reveal that secret," he insists, before jokingly adding, "except this coming Sunday at 8."
On the real location of The Simpsons' Springfield house, Jean enthuses, "In the movie we say it borders on Ohio, Nevada, Maine and Kentucky. So good luck finding that state. When you do, you're a true Simpsons fan."
Previously, Groening was believed to have revealed in which state of the nation Homer and his family live when telling Smithsonian magazine, "When I was a kid, the TV show 'Father Knows Best' took place in the town of Springfield, and I was thrilled because I imagined that it was the town next to Portland, my hometown. When I grew up, I realized it was just a fictitious name."
"I also figured out that Springfield was one of the most common names for a city in the U.S.," he explained at that time. "In anticipation of the success of the show, I thought, 'This will be cool; everyone will think it's their Springfield.' And they do."
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan on 'The Walking Dead' Season 7: It's Negan's World Now
- First Look at New Villain in 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Revealed
- 'Homeland' Finds Its Female President in 'House of Cards' Star
- Lindsay Lohan's Father Confirms She Told Him She's Pregnant
- Beyonce and 4-Year-Old Blue Ivy Play Twinsie in Cute Pictures
- Shonda Rhimes Denies 'GMA' Report That 'Scandal' Is Ending With Season 6
- Ellen Pompeo Admits She Stays on 'Grey's Anatomy' Because of Her Age
- James McAvoy Is a Psychopath in 'Split' Trailer